pomelo

phucvu(10 b oc ca)July 20, 2011

hopefully the iron deficiency is ironed out and the 2 last hanging fruit will stay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Very lovely. We, too, had huge issues here with our grapefruit trees and micronutrient deficiencies. I do see grass. Grass is a no-no under your citrus, phucvu. The grass will compete with your citrus for nutrients and precious water. I can't see quite down to the base of your tree, but if you have not done this yet, clear out a circle around your tree at least as large as the drip line of your tree (the edge of the canopy). Create a nice deep well with the lowest part of the well along the outer ring. Fill with compost keeping it away from the trunk. Fertilizer in the ring. Fill your well with water a couple of times week for a nice deep watering.

Patty S.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 5:37PM
silica

Phucvu, thanks for the picture. I am a bit confused. Looking at the picture that you posted, the tree looks like a Pummelo (Citrus maxima), and not a Pomelo (Citrus grandis or grapefruit). Is it indeed a Pummelo? Thanks.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 6:31PM

I think folks commonly interchange "Pomelo" with "Pummelo". I'm sure that's what phucvu meant, silica. Even Jorma Koskinen's well-known and respected Citrus Pages calls them both:

Citrus Pages: Pomelo

Definitely a Pummelo based on the shape of the fruit and peel appearance. This word is so frequently misspelled, and I think no one in the USA calls a grapefruit a Pomelo anymore, that most of us assume if someone says, "Pomelo", then really mean "Pummelo" :-) Potato, potato as they say. We get it. I get it, anyway!!

Patty S.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 7:00PM
phucvu(10 b oc ca)

meh, i don't know.

but yea it's not covered in grass at the base, although the mulching doesn't do a good job of keeping the weed at bay.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 7:59PM
silica

hoosierquilt, thanks for pointing out the pomelo/pummelo cross reference on Jorma's web page. I know Jorma, he is a friend of mine. I will have to have a discussion with him about the misuse of the word. Anyway, phucvu's tree is easily identified as being a Pummelo by looking at the leaves and blooms in the picture.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 9:17PM

Yuppers. And of course the shape of the fruit. The pomelo/pummelo confusion is about as prevalent as tangerine/mandarin terminology confusion. And please let Jorma know I love his site, it is very extensive and well researched.

Patty S.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
How to prune a Gold Nugget tree
I have a young Gold Nugget tree and, searching information...
axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
Cuban Shaddock, a dwarfing rootstock? I doubt it
It is difficult to find information about this rootstock...
axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
New growth still light greenish
I recently acquired 2 page oranges and one has had...
sgreer13
Unripe fruit falling off dwarf Meyer lemon tree
Hi everyone, This is the first time IâÂÂve posted...
ndvnprt
My Cuban Shaddock tree
The previous owner had an unknown dwarf citrus that...
BarbJP CA 15-16/9B
Sponsored Products
Malaysian Mango Bluewick Harper Mason Candle
$14.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™