montana and tangutica golden harvest

washit3August 19, 2012

I have a montana on the east side of my house. I would like to plant something vigorous with it. Something that would bloom later than the montana, I would like to have color twice there during the year. The montana is a spring bloomer, usually june.

I was thinking of a tangutica. Does any one have this combo?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Not something I'd recommend :-) Montanas are pruning group 1 (no prune) and tanguticas are group 3 (hard prune). The two vines will become so intertwined it would be nearly impossible to isolate the tangutica for pruning. And to leave it unpruned indefinitely will result in a very unpleasant looking mess. Also, if you were to just prune the two together simultaneously, you are going to mess up the bloom season for at least one of them, depending on when you prune.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 1:25PM
washit3

Do you think I would be able to prune the tangutica in the fall after bloom? I never prune the montana, unless we have a really bitter cold year. does any one have something planted with a montana that works? Thanks

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 4:07PM
gardengal48

How will you separate the tangutica from the montana in order to prune? The vines will become so intertwined I can't see how you can disentangle one without damaging the other.

I don't ever recommend planting two such robust vines together, whether it be clematis or any other vigorously growing vines. Second, unless you are prepared to deal with a very messy appearance or sacrifice a bloom season, I don't recommend combining two different pruning groups together.

But it's your choice - you can do what you like :-)

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 6:01PM
More Discussions
armandii: promise me it's *really* big?
My bedroom window is effectively three stories high...
Kristin
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Sweet Summer rabbit fodder.
I planted a sweet summer love last year and in the...
ked1985
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
Sponsored Products
Setai Floor Lamp by SONNEMAN Lighting
$1,750.00 | Lumens
Maria Theresa Gold Two-Light 12-Inch Wall Sconce with Royal Cut Golden Teak Smok
$226.00 | Bellacor
Six Small Framed Intaglios - IVORY
$1,495.00 | Horchow
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Castelar Golden
Home Depot
TKO Womens Hot/Cold Therapy Belt with Removable Gel Packs - One Size Fits Most M
$16.99 | Hayneedle
Kyle Linear Suspension by Quoizel
$549.99 | Lumens
Babar Topaz Yellow 18-Inch Square Throw Pillow
$32.99 | Bellacor
Accent Rug: Quinlan Moss 2' x 3'
$52.97 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™