How to Plant Clematis 'Sucker'

judith5bmontrealAugust 30, 2008

A friend gave me this clematis sucker of H F Young, which had rooted beside the mother plant. She thought it was dead, but stuck it in a pot just in case. Now, it has sprouted several stems, and they appear very healthy. I need to get it in the garden right now, as winter (ugh) is only a few months away. Would I plant it the same depth as in the pot, or bury the long 'neck' part? Should I mulch it by covering all that new, tender growth completely? Here are two photos to show exactly what I have. I would appreciate any advice you can give me, as I would really like this lovely clematis to make it. Thanks,

Judith

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

If you can't wait to let it grow a bit longer because of weather go ahead and bury it. You want the crown to be under the soil by two or three inches.

Bookmark   September 1, 2008 at 1:08PM
michael_in_chicago(z5)

I'm not in Montreal, but would probably baby it like this: plant it deeply so that the green parts are about 2" below ground level, but I'd leave them uncovered to photosynthesize until they've succumbed to frost or grown above ground level. Then I'd mulch/cover them up. The more sun it can photosynthesize the more energy it has to grow. Good luck! HFY is a nice bluish flower.

Bookmark   September 1, 2008 at 9:40PM
judith5bmontreal

Thank you both for your advice! I went ahead and planted it just as you said, and will keep my fingers crossed. If this winter is anything like the last one, everything should also be well-buried and protected under lots of snow.

Judith

Bookmark   September 2, 2008 at 9:40PM
More Discussions
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
transplanting ?
My friend is getting rid of (throwing away) a clem...
sorie6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™