disease question

altoraMA(5/6 MA)February 7, 2012

I have a small conifer, here is a picture of it

It has some sort of disease, maybe rust? These are the best pictures I could get, where the problem is you can see how the trunk has thickened. It is almost like a red dust. Here are some pictures. Any idea of what it is, and how to treat it? I cannot remember what kind of conifer it is, it's about 2 years old. Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
salicaceae(z8b FL)

It does look like a Gymnosporangium rust, most likely Hawthorn rust. Was the tree outside or inside? Usually they don't sporulate until later in spring in the north. Even down here you don't see the telia until mid March or so. At this point, nothing can be done for it except to prune out affected branches. The spores produced on this host cannot re-infect it, but infect the alternate host (in this case Crataegus spp.).

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 12:14PM
altoraMA(5/6 MA)

Thank you. The tree was outside, but we are moving so I dug up the plants I want to take with me and kept it in the porch for about a week, then the back hall, then a cool spot in the house.
I will prune off the affected branches, probably moving it into the house must have given the disease a jump start?
Thanks so much!
Alida

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 1:46PM
salicaceae(z8b FL)

Unless it is something rare or of sentimental value, I would just replace it. It looks like an eastern redcedar (Juniperus virginiana). These are easy to find.

Even if you prune the disease out, it may still have other infections you can't see yet and it will be very ugly at that point.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 2:21PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i agree..

i would not take a diseased plant to a new garden.. and hope i did not effect the whole new garden ..

ken

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 3:17PM
altoraMA(5/6 MA)

Ok, I can just get rid of it. Whatever else may have been infected can be replaced,
Thanks!

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Please identify this pine tree
Could someone please identify these pine trees? This...
PicoAzores
A question for the grafters among you
Hi,with experience,I've realised the main hurdle to...
gary77788
Found a giant!
Found this guy while driving through town! Looks pretty...
treeguy_ny USDA z6a WNY
Dawn Redwoods side by side
When I purchased a two foot 'Ogon' Dawn Redwood I decided...
mikebotann
What are these trees?
What are these two conifers? One is blue/gray with...
edlincoln
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™