time to collect my lime (photo inside)

khourshedJuly 8, 2012

I am proud owner of this lemon tree and so far i have 4 lime on board I am wondering when the time to collect them to enjoy a lemon juice ;-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Is this a Persian (Bearss) lime? If so, you could harvest them now; but I would wait until they start to get a hint of yellow, when they are at their best.

If this were my tree I would put some Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate) around it; put some on your roses at the same time; can't hurt and usually makes a big difference in the health of the plant. I put Magnesium Sulfate on my lemons twice a year.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 12:55PM
khourshed

I am not sure what type of Lime are they.
They have been on the tree for while now.
Do Magnesium Sulfate increase production and frequency to? I have only 4 on the tree.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 6:16PM
johnmerr(11)

Your tree is showing signs of Magnesium deficiency; that is why I recommmend the MgSO4. Age and proper care increase production. From looking at the tree, I am pretty sure it is a Bearss lime; if you don't know better, I would proceed as if it is.

You should be fertilizing your tree at least 3 times per year with a good citrus food, according to label directions. For all my garden citrus I also give them a shot of foliar fertilizer every 15 days; because citrus don't compete well with other garden plants and the foliar gives them essential nutrients that they might otherwise not get. I use Bayer Bayfolan Forte; but others here prefer Foliage Pro; and there are others... they are all good. At maturity, a Bearss lime should produce 2-300 fruits in your climate; here in Guatemala, a good tree will produce 4 times that.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 7:42PM
khourshed

Johnmerr, I will look for MgSo4 around any recommendation regarding mixing/preparation and frequency.
I am having some Gardenia near by would hurt by MgSo4 ?

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 8:21PM
johnmerr(11)

If you get Epsom Salt, I would put a couple of cups around the drip line of your tree; if you find the real stuff, Magnesium Sulfate, I would put about 1 cup. Don't worry about your Gardenia; it will love it; as will any roses you have.

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 11:34PM
More Discussions
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™