Picea orientalis (silver seedling)

jinxz5(Z 5a)February 22, 2012

A few weeks ago someone suggested this plant had been named. If so I can not remember what it was and was the name registered? Thanks for any help. Jay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brentm

Coenosium, who was first to introduce it in the US, listed it as Picea orientalis 'Silver Seedling' which is also the name Van Hoey Smith attributes to the plant.

Some other nurseries are selling it as 'Sulphur Flush' which was a name attached to another cultivar of the 'Aureospicata' type. The 'Sulphur Flush' I received around 1999 (from Coenosium) is much more dwarf than 'Aureospicata' but still has an open habit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coenosium Firsts

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 1:31PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

I could be wrong but I was under the impression 'Sulphur Flush' is a AKA but incorrect and 'Silver Seedling' is the correct name. Hopefully someone can confirm.

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 4:44PM
brentm

'Silver Seedling' is correct.

It was introduced as 'Silver Seedling' around 1990 by Konijn Nursery in The Netherlands. The 1996 Illustrated Encyclopedia of Conifers shows a photo from Konijn Nursery (of about an 8-year old plant) with the name as 'Silver Seedling'.

Side notes regarding the true Picea orientalis 'Sulphur Flush':
The name 'Sulphur Flush' first appeared on a plant with coloring and flush similar to 'Aureospicata' but more dwarf.

I have also seen it incorrectly labeled 'Sulfur Spray'.

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 8:42PM
firefightergardener(7/8)

So let's see if I can piece this together.

There are TWO plants here:

Picea orientalis 'Silver Seedling', which shows white coloring frosted over the green growth and grows laterally, burns in full sun. Sometimes mislabeled as 'Sulpher Flush'.

Picea orientalis 'Sulpher Flush'. Similar to 'Aureospicata', slower growing, gold over older green foliage, gold returns to green color later in the year?

Do we have photos of this second, entirely different plant 'Sulphur Flush', Brent?

Thanks!

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 9:55PM
jinxz5(Z 5a)

Brentm, Thanks for the info. In this case the plant is prettier than the name. Does not always work out that way. 'Silver Seedling' it is! Jay

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 10:49AM
brentm

Will, that is all correct.

No photo of 'Sulphur Flush' - I have it in a corner of my folks' garden, so I can get a photo in May when it flushes...

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
hardening off new plants from the PNW
do we.. in the cold north.. just slap them in the ground.....
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Black Hills Spruce SNEED, Rhizosphaera and spider mites
I have lot of spruce trees with sneed, Rhizoshaera...
Minnesotatrouble
New arrivals
L-R back row. Picea a. 'Susan'. . Picea a. 'Summer...
davesconifers
Is this Abies borisii-regis?
I have some doubts. I would greatly appreciate some...
lcadem78
Thuja green giant look at this picture
Hi I bought 13 Thuja Green Giants and planted them...
midnight727200
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™