What do I do with these?

hawkeye38(7bAL)September 29, 2012

My Epiphyllum Orchid Cactus is 2 summers old and is growing well with lots of green stalks (leaves), several drooping and several straight up. About a month or 2 ago it started producing many small shoots (see photo) which I thought were going to be flowers. I was so happy! It now looks like these shoots will just be more leaves. Oh well, maybe it will bloom next year. My question is: should I stake up the tall leaves or let them droop over by them selves? I'm afraid they will break! Will these new shoots be bloomers?

Hawkeye

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denise_gw(5)

I let them grow as they please...arching or straight up. It will quickly be obvious when the "nubbins" are actually buds rather than new growth. Do you grow it outside in summer? I've found you're almost guaranteed flowers when they have spent the summer out. They are real water guzzlers during that time, too. Your's definitely looks big enough to bloom anytime,though!

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 8:59PM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

Round growth on these almost always indicates not enough light. That would also explain the lack of bloom. You appear to be making the plant very happy except for lack of natural light. If you do give it better light, acclimate it gradually. Dappled sun is best, in Penn. mine get full sun in the winter and are summered in the shade of a tree. Your conditions in AL will be somewhat different. Nice healthy plant, it just needs a bit more light. When the flat parts get a red edge to them, you know they are getting optimal light. But again, be careful about plunging it into bright sun, they'll burn in an hour.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 10:07PM
hawkeye38(7bAL)

I suppose they know how to droop without breaking. Summer means morning sun and indrect afternoon sun. Lots of water.It's pretty much "death valley" in AL summer sun.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 10:10PM
More Discussions
Just a few colorful jades and things after a long winter?
Hello all..I wanted to say hello and show a few things...
mikerno_1micha
stumped with succulent
Hello everybody Please forgive my ignorance but i have...
cvalessa
Starting out with lots of Questions about my Succulents!
Good afternoon ladies/gentlemen! I have a few questions...
Britni Rice
To prune or not to prune?
This little lady is one of my favorites! I like how...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
Echeveria seedling turning pale green... why? :'(
Hello everyone! I need help with my Echeveria seedling. I've...
angelalee4649
Sponsored Products
Monarch Specialties I 7178 2 Piece Dark Walnut Accent / Black Metal Office Suite
Beyond Stores
WallsNeedLove Bright Red Roses Self-Adhesive Wallpaper - WP16-8FT
$66.00 | Hayneedle
Sudden Insights Wallpaper
| Dot & Bo
iTouch 12~24 Volt DC Touch LED Dimmer
Super Bright LEDs
Central Park 3 Light Textured Black With Clear Beveled Panels Hanging Lantern
Overstock.com
Switch Plate Tags Ant Brass ISLAND Switch Plate Tag 1 11/16" W
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
Bramble - Roosevelt Plasma TV Stand /Sideboard - 23687