one clematis thrives, other no new growth but not dead

seagreen_turtle(Z5 MI)September 16, 2009

The thriving species is Jackmanii (purple) and the sickly looking is Niobe(fuschia). I planted over a month ago in very similar locations, they both came from a very good nursery whose plants tend to thrive. The Niobe has grown a lot and produced lots of new flowers. The Niobe is not dead but hasn't grown at all and the leaves are a bit ratty. Should I fertilize it a little even though it's fall?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

The difference is because Jackmanii is a Type III and Niobe a Type II. Type II's typically get off to a slower start than III's. III's are usually more vigorous in general. Getting lots of flowers the first year isn't typical though of any clematis. They are first year sleep, second year creep and third year leap plants.

I would not fertilize in your zone at this time.

Cut them both back to the last set of buds in early spring when you cut back roses in your area. Then fertilize them.

Bookmark   September 16, 2009 at 2:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seagreen_turtle(Z5 MI)

Thanks buyorsell888. The Jackmanii is flowering like crazy (second flush). When I bought it and planted it in early July, it was flowering (they both were - the Niobe too I mean). I will keep my fingers crossed for the Niobe for next spring. Thanks again.

Bookmark   September 16, 2009 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
Anyone growing Sweet summer love clematis
Can you please post your experience growing this clematis....
bluehaven_gweb
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™