Lemon or Oranges in Zone 6a/b

greentreeteaJuly 19, 2012

Hi,

I want to plant a lemon or orange tree in my garden to take advantage of both the wonderful blooms and the fruit thereafter.

Will I be wasting my time and money trying to plant citrus in my area (Zone 6a/b) or shall I give it a shot?

Any particularly suitable varieties I should look at?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cearbhaill

Do you mean potted or in the ground?

Yes on potted- any variety you like.

Your in the ground options are severely limited to just about one, I think.
Linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trifoliate orange

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 9:56AM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

Just a few hours below freezing can severely damage almost all citrus. Kumquats and a few Satsuma are pretty hardy but anything that could survive zone 6 winters wont produce tasty fruit. Trifoliate orange is probably the most hardy but you wont want to eat the fruit. If you want to plant straight into the ground you will need to fashion a way to protect them from the cold. Some have put up temporary greenhouses made from wood or pvc and covered with plastic. You would need to add a heat source also. One thing you can do to make it "look" like its in ground is to leave it in the pot and bury it, its commonly called plunging. A couple benefits to this is you can obviously move the tree during cold spells and the earth helps to regulate the rootzone temperatures. Some also suggest drilling extra holes on the sides of the pot to allow the roots to grow out into the surrounding soil. I have done this with a few plumeria and they seem to love it.

Mike

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 9:58AM
forkliftaccess001

I am by no means an expert, but I don't think you'll be successful if you plant outdoors. Best bet is to go for a miniature plant that you can keep indoors during the winter. I'm sure the other forum members will have additional (and hopefully more useful) information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reconditioned Forklift Store

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 9:43AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Or, you plant in-ground and surround your tree with a glass house that you can space heat all winter. I plan on planting one of mine in the ground in my greenhouse. Have you seen Fruitnuts?

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruitnuts beautiful in-ground greenhouse tree.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 7:09PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Don't we think that greenteatree is pulling our legs? I like your idea, Mike....plant a citrus and then build a greenhouse around it. lol.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
Help with citrus scale
Hello all, my satsuma mandarin is dropping leaves....
Jeff
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
what kind of lemon orange mix is this?
the inside is not like a lemon. it can be peeled easily...
preppystud
My lemon tree needs help!
Hello, I recently got a new house with some citrus...
Roderick Agius
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™