Pink Starfish Plant

smithjm(z9 FL)September 7, 2006

I'm new to these and very intrigued by them. Ebay has a couple different ones for sale, and i'm very tempted to buy, but first I need to know a little about them. I haven't had any luck finding info online. Are they easy to grow? do they require any special care? do they bloom all the time? I appreciate all the advice. Below is a picture of the one for sale.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathi_mdgd

Have never seen it,but i'd sure like to have one.Sorry i can't help you out.
Kathi

Bookmark   September 7, 2006 at 11:46PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hey Smith,

Well, I seem to be your girl lately, so here goes.

They are Stapeliads (don't know which offhand, & fuzzy pic), but pls. search for that name & you'll find PLENTY of info (since you've shown yourself willing to do some research). Particular wealth of info & pix can be had by searching for that name &/or that of Gerry Barad (a master Stapeliad grower & known for such nationwide). I only grow one now, so can't speak at length abt them.

Short answer: Family of Asclepiads (closely related to Huernias, cousins of Hoyas & common milkweed). It may not be especially easy to grow (can be prone to rot & easily overwatered if at wrong time of yr.); may matter if you'll be able to put them outside. Oh, you're in FLA, so I guess so. No, they don't bloom all year 'round (I think mostly in summer/fall).

(PG) Karen

Bookmark   September 7, 2006 at 11:55PM
hirsuta

Somewhat easy to grow. They bloom in summer (most anyway) and need to be dry & dormant in the winter. They will do well in Florida's heat. Here are a couple of sites. I wouldn't grow them in peat and they are a very favorite of their arch enemy the mealiebug.

http://www.ig-ascleps.org/asclepius.htm
http://www.cactus-mall.com/stapeliad/index.htm

Hirsuta

Bookmark   September 7, 2006 at 11:57PM
smithjm(z9 FL)

Well pirate girl, we do meet again! I did find a bunch of info on them. I was jus not typing the name correctley, so I was getting very little info. And about mealybugs, man! do I hate them!! with a passion!! i've lost so many plants because of those nasty little 'beeeeep' Ok, now I feel much better. My current disaster is hoya 'rope' i've had it for 2 years now and a couple months ago it started getting them. So I started treaten it, but those little suckers have lots of places to hide and it's gotten worse. I had to cut up most of the plant, and left the top part. Wich makes me really mad, cause it was so long and full. Well, I got it out of my system. Boy, do I feel better!!

Bookmark   September 8, 2006 at 8:52AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hey Smith,

If you haven't seen it yet, pls. flip over to the C&S Gallery, there's a Stapeliad thread w/ plenty of great pix on blooming Staps.

Bookmark   September 9, 2006 at 12:44PM
prettyladypink

HI I have a starfish plant that i am willing to part with if u are interetsed lmk email me persoanlly thanks

Bookmark   September 9, 2006 at 7:41PM
smithjm(z9 FL)

That's great prettylady, but how come you want to get rid of it?

Bookmark   September 10, 2006 at 8:20AM
prettyladypink

I am looking for one like the one that you have can u spare some cuttings? I have had it for awhile lmk thanks

Bookmark   September 11, 2006 at 9:21AM
smithjm(z9 FL)

Oh, the one in the picture isn't mine. I got that picture from ebay. Some one there is selling cuttings of these and others to. Here's the link, if you're interested in purchasing some.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink starfish cuttings

Bookmark   September 11, 2006 at 5:11PM
smurfboy

Stapelias are also known as the carrion flower, they have the odor of rotting flesh to attract flies to pollinate them. I have the giant starfish cactus, growing them is very difficult as they are picky. ALWAYS use clay pots, not plastic. Fertilize when you see buds forming, which mine form on the sides of the fuzzy stems, some buds on others form at the base of the plant. Keep them in a sunny location. The worst thing about stapeliads that cause death is too much water, so use a clay pot and give plenty of sun. This is from previous experience, I've not had luck with the "string of pearls" or "string of hearts" because of too much moisture. If you have to bring plants in for the winter, only water it when the soil is dry and keep in a warm place as cold air will also cause rot if the plant is wet.

Bookmark   September 20, 2006 at 11:27AM
krisb_tx8(z8TX)

I've 2 Stapelia grandiflora that produce big giant star flowers. Both are in plastic pots, one is doing very well and going to bloom anyday soon. One is not so well, I'm going to repot it to smaller clay pot today.

Bookmark   September 20, 2006 at 3:28PM
More Discussions
Two more Echies from today
The first is E. kircheriana and the one in the back...
hablu
what is this propigation and what can I do with the root?!
this is something a friend of mine gave my mom in a...
Britni Rice
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
Shriveling Ferocactus Latispinus
Hey y'all ! I'm having an issue with my Devil's tongue...
_sbgibbons_
kalanchoe questions
This used to be a nice full plant,,now not so much....help?...
ianbeatty
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™