Daisy mandarin

olympia_gardener(5)July 9, 2012

Over the weekend, I bought some mandarin oranges from local grocery store called daisy mandarin. Boy, this is one of the sweetest mandarin I have tasted. They are from Aussie and are very large , about 1/2- 3/4 lb each.

I am wondering if I planted the seeds, will the tree produce same quality of fruits?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Yes, and no; the Daisy is a cross of 2 California varieties, Fremont and Fortune. I expect that a Daisy mandarin seed would produce a Daisy mandarin tree; but the quality of the fruit would depend a lot on your soil and climate. Australia grows a lot of good mandarins, including the Daisy.
There are a couple of problems... number one I don't know if you can legally propagate the Daisy now without a licensing agreement from the creator; Australia grows them, but is not yet licensed to propagate them. Second, the variety has a number of problems, such as fruit splitting, alternate bearing, and others; it is not highly recommended for commercial planting. Lastly, if you plant a seed and actually get a Daisy, it will be years before you will get any fruit; and the tree will likely be thorny.
Were I you, and I wanted to plant a mandarin, I would order a Pixie from a reputable nursery and have a really quality fruit; but that is just MHO.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 7:44PM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

I think from seed it could also turn out to be one of the original "parent" crossbreeds and become a single pure breed again. OR be sprouted as a cross breed and considered a "Daisy" but could have much different characteristics of the Daisy or be spot on or better but still a "Daisy". But, If Im not mistaken like I said earlier in this post, it could also sprout as an exact "copy" of one of its parents minus either one of the parents and ONLY be a one strain purebreed (make sense lol) and not considered a crossbreed anymore. But Im a little unsure about that so Im hoping someone could correct me or not? Either way I think to really know for sure is to get real scientific on it and do tests and stuff. I think our taste buds can only tell us if its good or not and if we like it:-)

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 8:10PM
johnmerr(11)

This is not a hybrid; it is a crossbreed; i.e. a cross between two mandarins. Hybrids tend to be sterile, if not diploid; but crossbreeds tend to be fertile. Ergo, I would seriously doubt that planting a seed from a Daisy would give you one of the parents. The seed contains a mix of the genetics of both parents; but is its own entity; and as most citrus are true to seed, I see no reason this one would not be. That brings me back to my original caveats... thorniness, problems with the variety, time to make fruit; and lastly, I don't see any rush in the industry to plant Daisy variety; there are a number that are better. At my lemon farm, in my variety citrus block, I have Pixie mandarins plus 2 heirloom mandarins that come from trees more than 50 years old... no one knows what variety they are; but everyone loves them.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 8:26PM

So a hybrid would be a fruit/seed produced from one variety pollinated by another? And a crossbreed would be a genetic cross between two different varieties done in a lab or something? I think that is where I was confused.

So a "hybrid" seed would possibly produce parent seeds/trees? Or am I still way off? I could of swore I read something like this somewhere...lol

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 10:45PM
johnmerr(11)

For simplicity... a hybrid is like a cross between a horse and a donkey (a mule); or as in Foster Farms chickens between a big black rooster and a small round red hen; the result is a white chicken of incredible value; but if you hatch the egg of that white chicken, you will not get a Foster Farms chicken... it is a crapshoot of what you might get. A crossbreed is like a Hereford cow crossed with a Holstein cow; the result is a white faced black animal... but if you mate together two of them, you will get the same white-faced black offspring. For plant people maybe that doesn't make sense, but it is basic Mendelian genetics.

A lot of commercial seeds are hybrids, wheat, rice, corn, tomatoes, etc... you cannot plant the seeds of the fruit and get the same plant.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 1:25AM
olympia_gardener(5)

John, the size and taste of this fruit caught my attention and make me thinking grow one just for fun.

I am learning something new here. Cross breed and hybrid are not the same thing! I thought they are all result of genetic mix , selection in purpose. Hybrid sweet corn is very common. I thought it is, for expamle, white corn pollinated with yellow corn resulted a mixed white and yellow corn as offspring ( I am simplify the example here). But it is still pollinate between corns, not corn and not-corn, like horse and donkey. Am I correct, if pollinate corn and something other than corn, the offspring will be the cross breed?

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 9:53AM
johnmerr(11)

Truth is, I am at the outer edges of what I KNOW, or once learned; but I am way outside my ability to explain it.

Unlike Stephen Hawking who, in A Brief History of Time, is soooo smart, he can explain incredibly complex things so that ordinary people get it.

Don't worry about it; and if you want to plant the seed, do it; it's all fun.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 11:46AM

I get what your saying. I had it backwards (Hybrids vs. Crossbreed). It makes more sense now that I look at it the other way.

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 12:37AM
More Discussions
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Strange happenings with lemon tree
Hi, This is my first post, upon finding your site. I...
alamedadad
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
Got a couple citrus and don't know what to do
So, I got a lemon tree and a lime tree as housewarming...
beesneeds
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™