fall blooming clematis

sunset49424(z5Mich)September 27, 2007

I am also looking for FALL blooming clematis,preferbly large blooms...I am in zone 5.Can anyone suggest a paticular name for me to look for??? sunset

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

The easiest one that comes to mind is clematis terniflora since it blooms in late summmer/early fall for people in most zones. I am sure that there are other large flowering hybrids that would probably bloom for you in the fall but the number of LFH I have in my garden is rather limited. I can get rebloom on some of them in the fall but this is accomplished by pruning them back in midsummer and keeping them watered and fertilized and they rebloom in the fall. In your zone, I am unsure if you can get this to happen since I don't know how long your growing season is.

I am going to defer to others in your growing zone or in close proximity to where you live since when a clematis flowers is going to be dictated a lot by your local weather and the specific type of LFH. Perhaps others in your area will have some specific varieties to suggest. Another idea would be to stop and ask any people in your area that having clematis blooming at this time the names of their clematis. This would help better insure that your bloom times would coincide with theirs for the same variety of clematis.

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 10:08AM
michael_in_chicago(z5)

I don't think there is a fall-blooming LFH. The best you can do is aim for a second bloom by doing as Miguel says, cutting some type 3's back after their first flush is done. I've had success this way (and have blooms currently on) Ville de Lyon, Viola, Hagley Hybrid and Solina, though others may work as well.

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 9:19PM
phyl345(z.5)

michaelinchicago ... would love it if my villedelyon would rebloom! ... how far do you cut it back after the 1st bloom? ... mine is all brown & yucky-looking ... thanks, phyl

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 11:20PM
flowerfan2(z8/ WA)

I have several small flowered varieties that bloom late for me, but no large flowered ones. I have serratifolia, virginiana, sweet autumn clematis, akaboides, Rooguchi, rehderiana, Bill Mckenzie, and Kerminsina that all bloom August-October. The only large flowered variety that I have still blooming is John Paul II. That has been blooming since May though.

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 11:46PM
More Discussions
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
Is this clematis dead legs?
This is a corallary to my earlier message showing the...
marko_212
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™