Training Nelly Moser up tree trunk

daysquid(7a Annapolis, MD)September 13, 2012

I'm new to gardening and need some advice on just how to train a Nelly Moser to climb a tree trunk. I just brought her home and failed to ask the nursery any questions about how to do this. Thanks in advance for any and all help on this!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

BuyorSell (I think) in the past posted a photo of a clem growing up a spiral of copper plumbing pipe around the trunk of a tree so that the clem followed the loose spiral around the trunk. You could also hang strings or netting from the tree if the lower branches are large enough to support the weight of the clematis.

It will also depend somewhat on the kind of tree. Since clematis aren't fond of root competition, certain trees with shallow thirsty roots will stunt the growth of the clematis unless the clem is planted in a pot (and maple roots will grow up into the pot through the drain holes of a pot sitting on the soil surface!)

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 2:30PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

My copper spiral doesn't actually work very well. You need something like metal grid fencing wrapped around the trunk or part of it.

or something like this trellis

Here is a link that might be useful: trellis at Amazon

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 8:34PM
daysquid(7a Annapolis, MD)

Do you remove the plant from the trellis in the pot and then feed the vine up your own trellis...to start its climb? I realize that this might be a silly question but this is all new to me as a first time gardner.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 1:25PM
alameda/zone 8

Rather than buy expensive tree trellis, I use leftover scraps of my horse wire fencing - any kind will do - to wrap around a tree for the clematis to climb on. Once they cover the wire, you never even know its there. You can buy rolls of all kinds of hardware cloth, etc. at Lowes. I would think plastic netting would work also.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 12:52PM

The plastic netting doesn't work well as it breaks apart when you pull the vines down after pruning.

Wire livestock fence certainly works great.

Yes, you remove whatever stake or trellis is in the nursery pot.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 3:25PM
grow_darnit

Metal mesh works great for me. I grow Pink Fantasy and Venosa Violacea up the tree trunk. Make sure your clematis is planted a couple feet away from the tree and train it toward it, or it will never get enough water.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 10:53PM
daysquid(7a Annapolis, MD)

That's a beautiful picture "grow darnit" -- thanks for all the help on this. And how do you prune Nelly Moser?

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 9:22PM

Grow Darnit, My Venosa Violacea grows more than 12 feet tall and at least 8 feet wide after being cut to the ground each year. Keep an eye on yours so it doesn't swamp Pink Fantasy which is a much less vigorous grower.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 12:13PM
More Discussions
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™