What do Clematis cost in the US - just curious.

flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)September 8, 2010

I have just bought a Perle d'azur and an Etoile violette at reputable local garden centre. They are about 3ft6ins tall and are in pots which I think are about 1 US gallon. They cost £8.50 each (ca $13). How does this compare with the prices you pay?

Sometimes you can real bargains in the supermarket. 2 years ago I got a Marie Boisselot, albeit small and in a plastic bag, for £1.50. ($2.30) It has done very well.

I'm just curious as to what sort of prices they are in the US.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob414(USDA 9, Sunset 15)

I buy gallon sized at one of two local nurseries. At one the price is $12 and at the other the price is $13 so it looks like in my area they are priced about the same as in your area.

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 11:30AM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

I have seen ones in the same size pot for at the most $24.99 but have always waited until they were half price in June to buy. Average price seems to be about $15. The most I paid this year was $16.99 at Donahues this spring.

We have good sales here and I have found them at a local nursery for $4.99 and last fall got several of the same variety for $1 each at Home Depot which I shared with a couple of friends and took two to our MN GW spring swap.

The cheapest I have found were very tiny ones for 25cents at Walmart one late summer day a few years back.

With over 30 clematis I have most of the common ones in our area so will have to start buying through the mail to find the ones I want.

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 11:38AM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

I've paid about $20 for my SAC. Most are around that price or maybe a little less depending on where you purchase.

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 5:29PM
julieiwuc

I bought a few one gallon size clems at a nursery in southern california and they were 18.95 each. I bought a one gallon in the state of Washington in July that was $14. I hardly ever find bargains on clematis around here in Southern California.
Julie

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 6:16PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I have paid between $10 and $20 for gallon sized pots locally. Most in the middle at $15.

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 4:10PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I found some on sale yesterday for $4.95 but their labels were torn off so I didn't buy. They were in liter sized pots.

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 12:45PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Thanks everyone. Very interesting.

Bookmark   September 11, 2010 at 5:52AM
More Discussions
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
How climate specific are clematis?
I want to add a few clematis to my gardens. I actually...
subk3
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™