How do you train a clematis up through a shrub?

prairiemoon2 z6 MASeptember 5, 2009

I have a potted clematis and I would like to train it to climb up and over a shrub. I would love some tips on how to do that and how to select the right shrub to use. Does it matter which variety you have?

Thanks... :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

What kink of shrub? How large is the shrub? What kind of clematis do you have?

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 4:47PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

I have two...Ville de Lyon and Duchess of Albany for Clematis. I have a Cornus racemosa that is plain all season long, about 8ft tall. Or I have a few Hydrangeas, a Viburnum maresii, or a Physocarpus. All of those are under 5ft at this point.

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 5:31PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I have a Ville de Lyon growing through an Endless Summer hydrangea and from there onto the fence behind it. I have another type 3, white, but I don't remember the exact hybrid, up into a lilac. In each case I planted the clematis on the north side of the shrub, outside of the shrub's dripline by about a foot. I had read that the clematis would grow toward the light and therefore into the shrubs. It seems to have worked well as the Ville de Lyon has been there 3 or 4 seasons and the white one two or three. The lilac looked like it had white clematis flowers this year for the first time, and VdeL has been growing up into the hydrangea for several seasons. The shrubs were a year or two in the ground and at least three feet tall when I planted the clematis which were pretty small. I may need to move the VdeL at some point if it seems like the hydrangea is getting overwhelmed.

Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
Clematis in SW Tennessee
Just moved here from Northern IL where I had lots and...
ryseryse_2004
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™