Citrus tree growing odd leaves

gabrielitaJuly 17, 2011

I have a small citrus tree (orange possibly) and we had a hard freeze this winter. The tree survived but grew odd leaves. The bottom part grew dark green, large leaves while the top part grew smaller light green leaves that seem like they were melted plastic. Does anyone know what this means? My tree didn't flower this year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

See my post on the Fruit & Orchard forum, gabrielita. As I mentioned on that forum to you, this sounds like the rootstock has sent up shoots and is trying take over your grafted scion (that's the "orange" you mention). Nearly all citrus trees are grafted, using a hearty rootstock (most like some trifoliate, which has leaves of three), to the desired variety scion. Just trim those shoots away and prune the top of your tree to remove any dead or damaged branches. Fertilize and see if the top recovers. It should, but you must remove the graft shoots so that the scion (your actual variety of citrus you purchases) has a chance to recover. If you would post a photo of these leaves, as well as a close up as to where these shoots are growing in relation to the graft on the trunk, we can tell you for sure. Just upload your pics to Photobucket, then copy and paste the .html code (NOT the .jpg code) right into your message. Your photos will then show up directly in the body of your message, which makes it very easy for forum members to read and view :-)

Patty S.

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
Costco citrus!
Has your Costco started to stock any? We got some kumquat,...
serge94501
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
Help with Dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree
Hello, The bottom leaves on my dwarf lemon tree are...
arti_asharma
My Meyer Lemon Tree is not doing well... can I save it?
Hi All, I am new to this forum and joined because I...
braun928
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™