Donkey Tails Help Please

lcadenaSeptember 6, 2013

My large Donkey Tails plant that I've had for several years hanger broke and now I have a million little leaves all over the place. How do I replant all the branches that broke off? Do I clean the leaves off the ends and just stick in new potting mix? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brodyjames_gw

Lay all the little leaflets and branches on top of some soil in a separate pot and they will eventually root into many more plants.

Nancy

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 1:40AM
lcadena

I've never had any success with the leaflets, they have all shriveled up and died. I just broke off all the stems are-potted them in the soil. Only time will tell. Thanks.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 2:19AM
cactusmcharris

Another great thing about the Crassulaceae is their sometimes extraordinary ease of rooting leaves - a few simple things to keep in mind and you'll have them with certitude and fine pink roots.

Mist them daily / every other day consistently and keep them warm and at least partially sun-lit and you should have roots in four weeks or less - Nancy guarantees it.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 11:18

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 11:15AM
dannie317

I had a small pot with three cuttings in it, and when one of them got too long, I just cut it and stuck the chopped end in the soil. It kept its color, but eventually looked like a string of raisins. It stayed that way for so long, I thought it was permanent and was disappointed.

Then one day I realized that I could no longer tell any of the cuttings apart! It took months, but the part I chopped off and stuck in the soil finally developed a root system that was able to support itself enough to plump back up.

Clean up those broken stems, bury an inch or so into the soil (make sure you bury the right end), water very sparingly for a month or so, and see what happens. As long as they don't rot, they're still hanging on. Be prepared for them to look fairly wrinkly for a bit. Try again with the leaves. I have always found them particularly easy to root.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 4:01PM
lcadena

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouraging words!

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
Agave - ID & Care
I bought this little plant yesterday - Feb 26. I'd...
bobv2
Can you please name this succulent (Qatar)
This succulent was growing along with cactus, it looks...
maufie123
Could someone identify this plant?
I'm pretty sure this guy is in a succulent family....
RobynDarlene
Kalanchoes outdoors in southern California
the following are some photos of some of the less common...
palmbob
Show my new collection of succulents
I got a present. Look at these succulents.
hm825
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™