no new leaves this year

moyarooJuly 22, 2012

My tree put on a ton of fruit this winter, I have culled it several times and there is still a lot, but I got no new leaves this spring. Those that are on the tree are yellowing thinning out and dropping slowly. I read the FAQ could be dying OK but what can I do? I have a Grapefuit tree that is thriving about 50 feet away and closer to our lake so I don't think it is too much water.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Feed it more; with all that fruit, the tree is taking the nutrients from your leaves and using to sustain the fruit.

Feed it a good citrus fertilizer 3-4 times per year; and maybe add a regular regimen of foliar fert.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 3:01PM
moyaroo

Thank you for the reply. I have fertilized the tree twice this year with Vigro Citrus and Avocado fertilizer. It has been a healthy performer until last year when it got attacked by some serious pests that I was able to knock down using Malathion -oil spray

I am wondering if pruning back on some of the stems might encourage new growth. Actually would welcome any new growth at this point.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 11:23AM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Give it some time. I think it will start its flush of growth soon enough. Fingers crossed:-)

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 5:05PM
More Discussions
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Meyer Lemon Plant
I bought a Meyer Lemon plant from Lowes. It was green...
scarlett2
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™