help, I.D. please!

Dani74(7a)September 3, 2013

I have recently gotten this cactus and have no idea what kind it is, can someone help me identify? thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

Dani,

If you want them to grow well, you should get them in better soil (i.e. more porous and less peat). They appear to be perhaps Trichocereus spachianus or an Echinopsis of some kind. These are also best grown outside, but they're not that cold-hardy.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 11:24AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

You definitely need to alter that soil and soon.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 2:14PM
Dani74(7a)

thank you for the help, i will run into lowe's and get some better soil- what do you recommend for these?

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 12:25PM
eaksqueak(PA 6a)

Unfortunately this is a loaded question. Potting soils straight from the bag are too moisture retentive, even the kind marketed as a cactus soil. That said, I've had some small torch cactuses in this kind of soil since early spring and they haven't died. You have to make sure they are not staying wet. Something easy you can do for the time being is mix perlite with potting soil at about a 50/50 mix. You will be able to find perlite at the store easily. After that, you might want to spend some time researching cactus soils on these message boards and read about the kinds of mixes people like to use. It can become a real scavenger hunt trying to find all of the ingredients for a lot of these mixes, so don't expect to be able to figure out what you want to do and get all the materials together quickly.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 1:24PM
More Discussions
ID this succulent now that it's beginning to flower?
no one was able to ID this guy before, but now that...
kwie2011
Just washed cacti and euphorbia roots..safe to leave out overnight?
Just washed roots on my shipment from Arid Lands. ...
Bama_Joe
February blooms (2015)
After so many beautiful photos posted in January -...
rina_
My very first 'Terrarium' and need advice on watering.
So this is my first time doing Terrarium, and i want...
kizasugondo
Could someone identify this plant?
I'm pretty sure this guy is in a succulent family....
RobynDarlene
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™