Pruning/Repotting Dwarf Meyer Lemon

tcleigh(6)July 3, 2011

Hello all:

I have a dwarf meyer lemon tree in a big container (not sure how many gallons). it has stayed relatively small since i bought it 2 years ago. it had a lot of blossoms this year, so i was hoping for a lot of lemons, but all but one fell off. not sure why this happened, but the tree only has one lemon at present.

anyway, im moving at the end of july and my question is this: how can i prune/repot this tree to be able to transfer it to zone 6a? is it too late in the summer to prune? if i moved it to a smaller container, could i prune the roots?

i'm not worried about losing the sole lemon, i just would like to be able to move it without killing it. ever since it was overwintered last year, it has had blotchy, unhealthy looking leaves, so i think it might appreciate a good prune, but i dont want to kill it.

any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dsieber(z5 (Lakewood CO))

Moving from zone 9 to 6 I would not do anything. You are not going to kill the plant. For 50cents you can get a new lemon. After you move in and understand where the tree is going to spend its summer then you can determine the best plan on root pruning/repoting.

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 10:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcleigh(6)

thanks, dsieber!

my issue, however, is space. i know the tree won't die going from zone 9 to 6 in the summer, but i really need to minimize the space my plants are going to take up in my car on moving day! therefore, i was thinking about pruning severely and repotting into a small pot just for moving purposes.

any thoughts?

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 8:46AM
More Discussions
Bugs 15
Ok. I've had enough of having to wait forever to get...
mikerno_1micha
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
Need help with my Meyer lemon!
Hi everyone, new to this forum and to gardening in...
wanderess
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™