Dwarf treees

Suzy11July 18, 2012

This may be a dumb question but here it goes. What makes a tree a dwarf? Is it the seeds?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Its a few things. Mainly a "regular sized" tree (or variety of a regular tree) is grafted onto a dwarfing rootstock. It goes beyond that but I know mainly of dwarf rootstock with normal varieties scions grafted onto dwarf rootstock. I think a very few amount of trees are technically "genetic" dwarfs from seed. The pros will know more.

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 2:21PM
Suzy11

interesting. Thank you

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 5:42PM
hagar3(8a)

I agree with blazeaglory. I have been reading about dwarf plants for many years and most of them are dwarfed using certain root stocks. One nursery used a three piece stem with a dwarfing piece between the rootstock and the top. I don't think I have seen that method used on citrus. I have read the rootstocks used for oranges but I don'remember what they are.

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 12:52PM

Flying dragon and sour orange?, I think, are two dwarfing rootstocks but there are more (I think).

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 1:26AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Sour orange is not a dwarfing rootstock, it is a an older, standard rootstock which tends to be susceptible to Tristeza virus (so it is not used commercially in California much anymore). You may hear references to "heirloom" oranges, and this is frequently referring to old orange orchards on Sour Orange. Some old-timers feel this produces a very sweet orange. Trifoliate varieties (which includes Flying Dragon and Swingle), Citrange varieties (such as Troyer and Carrizo), as well as Cuban Shaddock (which is a true dwarfing rootstock, and what Four Winds uses very successfully) are the main types of semi-dwarfing and dwarfing rootstocks you see most commonly in the commercial market. There are others but these are the main varieties.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection: Citrus Rootstocks, Their Characters and Reactions

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 11:35AM

I wonder if sour orange really does produce a sweeter orange? Its funny that its called "sour" but produces a "sweet" orange.

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 12:57PM
More Discussions
Is this abnormal calamondin behavior?
The leaves on my potted calamondin tree are quite droopy,...
michael_ames
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
Got a couple citrus and don't know what to do
So, I got a lemon tree and a lime tree as housewarming...
beesneeds
citrus tree gratfting 101
I would like to start grafting my own citrus trees....
rj campbell inc
Kumquat :From seed to fruit in one year?
Someone tried to tell me that I can grow a kumquat...
italiangardner
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™