H.f.Young

DigginlifeSeptember 9, 2012

I bought a h.f.young and havent planted it yet ..Any suggestions for its best location... is it a waste of height on a 5ft bird feeder post or should I try to grow it up a taller trellis. Are pots a bad idea for this type? Do they grow better spread out against a fence or a tall post? Will I have to look at dead wood in the winter? The pic is the locations I was thinking of ..Kinda have too many morning glories than I want and was gonna swap some out for the H.F young. I have two pots with trellis going up the shed and 2 bird feeder posts in front also have a fence in the background I can use Thanks for any info or suggestions!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

It is eventually going to grow larger than that space allows.

I have seen Clematis used nicely on bird feeder posts but they were allowed to flop back down and spread a lot wider than your pictures show. They were on 4 x 4 posts wrapped with metal wire mesh fencing.

Yes, dead stems in winter.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 3:08PM
Digginlife

Thanks for the info!!! Im so indecisive...So where would u plant it??... in the front around the birdfeeders or in the pot and grown up the trellis on the right of the shed? If I mulch the bottom of the vines and or plant low shrubs can the top handle over 6 hrs of sun or will my leaves brown? My hydrangeas there fry in the summer

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 5:28PM
landlady(USDA 8 or 9)

You can see a young-ish (maybe 3 years?) DH Young clamboring up the trellis in front and starting to rebloom. I'm working on training her across the climbing High Noon that is to her right....

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 11:35AM
landlady(USDA 8 or 9)

Here she is a bit further into the rebloom

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
How climate specific are clematis?
I want to add a few clematis to my gardens. I actually...
subk3
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
ianrtaylor
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
Sponsored Products
Fosters Point Glass With Peony And Babp Hop F9743L
Beyond Stores
New Geometric Persian 3'x16' Heriz Serapi Runner Hand Knotted Red Wool Rug - H33
BH Sun Inc
Bemis B19170CHSL000 Elongated Closed Front Molded Wood Toilet Seat with Chrome H
$60.99 | Hayneedle
Honey-Can-Do Drying Racks Heavy Duty Wood Accordion Drying Rack tan DRY-01638
$39.31 | Home Depot
Fresca Torino 24 Espresso Modern Bathroom Vanity w/ Integrated Sink
Hudson Reed
AICO Furniture - Cortina Sideboard - NF65007-28
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™