starting clematis from seed

sunset49424(z5Mich)September 19, 2007

Please, please help me, I have several clematis,and each yr I gather the seeds and have tried to start them to grow.but with no luck, I have read on GW and tried everything I can think of from chilling, putting in freezer for couple of months,refrigeration,planting seeds in pots, and left out in snow all winter, nothing seems to work for me, I have NEVER gotten any to sprout and grow into a plant, also I have planted seeds into mircle grow potting soil,put into zip lock bag,then some I refrigeratored and some I sat under a shrub(like I have started roses from cuttings)outdoors in the summertime....still nothing. please any and all advise would be much appreciated...thanks...sunset zone 5.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

Starting from seed is not the easiest thing to do, especially if you are the impatient type (like me). Some clematis can take well over a year to germinate and others can take as few as a couple of weeks. You don't say which type of clematis you have attempted to grow from seed. If they were the type that takes longer than a few months, remember you need to move the bags/pots into a shady area during the warmer months to prevent from cooking the seeds.

Check the following link out for helpful tips and estimated germination times for various types of seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis from Seed

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 2:23AM
More Discussions
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™