Maybe a silly question...

Lilyfinch z7 mid tnSeptember 10, 2009

I hope i dont sound silly here, i have heard the phrase about first ear sleep, second year creep, third year leap--- if i plant my clematis in the fall this year, does this count as its first year? I have a arbor to plant on , and am not sure if ill have better results quicker by planting now or of ill have about the same results if i wait till spring? Thanks for the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
unprofessional(5)

Planting now will allow the roots to develop during the winter. Fall is arguably a better time to plant than in the spring. =)

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 2:18PM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

Don't feel so bad, I was wondering the same thing. lol
You hear people saying hard prune it's first year, and I always wonder, "Is that the year I planted or are you talking about next spring?" lol
If the planting year is the "first year" then some of my clems will be leeping next spring! Yay!
I would also get them in the ground ASAP, and make sure to plant 2 to 4 inches deeper than the container, that way a couple of nodes will be buried and grow next spring if the rest of the top growth dies out. Other more experienced clem lovers may have better suggestions.

Bookmark   September 12, 2009 at 4:59PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

IF I was planting a Clematis right now I'd hard prune it when I planted it and again next spring.

Definitely plant deeper.

Bookmark   September 12, 2009 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Question on a vendor
Hi, Has anyone ever purchased clematis from a vendor...
bellarosa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™