Transplanting Stonecrop

Liz321(6 - Detroit Metro)September 16, 2012

Hello! I am not sure if this is the correct place, but I have sedum questions.

I have been given 8 or so Stonecrop plants that are currently about 2 and a half feet tall that I will be planting this week. When I pick a location, what kind of soil should they be in?

My yard is full sun, but has both wetter and dry clay areas and I'm not sure what they really prefer and what is the best treatment. I've had good luck with propagating smaller varieties in small beds, but with so many and such a large version, I have no idea!

They were all planted by my mother who passed several years ago, so I would really like to make sure they live.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenhavenrdgarden

Dry lean soil works best in my garden and plenty of sun. They are VERY easy to grow. You can take stems from your plant and simply stick them in the ground and new plants will grow. Mine get so tall they tend to flop so about early July I cut the plants back to keep them shorter and then I simply place the cuttings in the soil and water it. Within weeks I have new plants. Haven lost one yet. Last year at this time (Sept) I bought 1 large plant (Autumn Joy) and cut off many stems. Turned it into many plants. Almost all sedums can be treated this way- tall or short.
Good luck!

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 9:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Liz321(6 - Detroit Metro)

Thanks Green Haven! We planted them in full sun near my fence line so they can lean against it if need be! They are actually the tallest sedum I've ever seen. I'm hoping to fill in another area with the little ones that broke off.

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
Help! New to succulents and I think I have a pest!
Can you help me identify what this white stuff is on...
bbrich86
Zebra cactus (hawarthia) help?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
Jade tree pricing
Okay this may sound like a silly question but a Gollum...
Hamza Nobes
Gasteria question
Hi all, Does anyone have experience with restarting...
hablu
Do you have crazy sedums
So do you i have some sedums in a pot golden sedum...
spikef35
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™