Propagating Donkey Ear Kalanchoe and care

luvpatch2September 26, 2009

Hi! I received two baby leafs from a Donkey Ear Kalanchoe. Do I just place the leaf in a pot of perilite or soil and use rooting hormone? What is the best way to propagate this? And do I leave it in shade or sun while it is rooting? How long before it starts growing? My friends plant is a beautiful plant! Thanks for help with this!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
norma_2006

What ever mix you use for the rest of your succulents. Lay the leaf flat down on the soil, and water once, then put the pot into a semi sunny location. Don't water again until you see little leaves coming up. Look this name up, I want to make sure we are discussing the same plant here.
Kalanchoe gastonis-bonnieri . I love this plant with enough sun it may turn red, at first grey with brown/green spots, the flowers light green. Must have winter warmth, know to be found in Madagascar. You should be able to get off sets on each notch of the borders and expecially on the tips of the leaves, makes a good basket plant when it gets older. The leaves may get very long, and flop over with babies on the tips.
When I really want a lot of them, I cut horizonatally across the spine on the front side (or cut the leaf in two) I get more offsets that way. I love this plant, it's good to share with children . Norma

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 2:20AM
More Discussions
Sometimes rot ends well
Here are some pics of a jade that started as a chunk...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
What is this? It says "Mammillaria species"
I know, "Mammillaria species" narrows it...
plantomaniac08
hen and chicks not faring well indoors--- suggestions?
Hi, Even as a child, I usually had hen and chicks outdoors...
iaskedforwater
Prevent mix from falling out drain hole - what do you use?
I have a few particles falling out the bottom of my...
Bama_Joe
My very first 'Terrarium' and need advice on watering.
So this is my first time doing Terrarium, and i want...
kizasugondo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™