dividing "Dragon's Blood"

GreenThumbnailSeptember 13, 2012

Greetings,

I recently purchased a 1 quart Sedum spurium Dragon's Blood, and am wondering how to safely separate it, if at all possible at this small size. The base of the plant is healthy and dense, but I don't want to hurt it!

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rina_

GT

I have this sedum growing outside & find it extremely easy. You can just brake off stems & stick in ground and it will grow. You can separate the rootball (just pulling gently apart), but I never had to, pieces always root.
I gave away so many (just clumps, mostly without roots), and it never failed.

Rina

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 11:54AM
greenhavenrdgarden

The 1st picture looks like Johnny Creech. Dragons Blood is a lot more red. The second pic looks a little bit like sedum Fulda Glow. All 3 are very similar. Dragons Blood is mostly a deep red, Johnny Creech is mostly green and Fulda Glow is an even mix of red and green. All three are easy to grow. I have them all in the same bed side by side. Out of the 3, I have found Dragons Blood to be the least vigorous but it still does very well. Just not as well as the other two. The plants are easy to divide. Just take a small chunk off by teasing or with a knife and plant and watch it grow. I love all three and think they look great mingled together in my rock garden :)

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 9:58AM
rina_

GHG

It actually gets much more red in full sun. These are planted in shady location and are greener.
I could be wrong - but they are all from 1 original pot I bought couple of years ago & were marked 'Dragon's Blood'.
(I still have the marker).
Yes, the marker could have been wrong, it happens very often. Original plant was much redder.

Thanks for other ID's, I will keep them - just in case.
I am planting lots of them in very sunny spot, so will see next spring.

In either case, I think that sedums are very easy to divide - at least that is my experience.

The photo attached is of the same pot as in original post/2nd photo - it is getting little more sun now.

Rina

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
Ants help!
Seems I have an ant problem hitched a ride on my big...
spikef35
When do I start watering after re-potting?
I will be re-potting my plants into the gritty mix...
blaquepua
Echeveria - how long from bloom to death?
My Echeveria pulidonis are flowering. Very lovely...
kwie2011
April blooms!
Aloe blue elf and euphorbia milii?Mammilaria eglans...
spikef35
What's your growing area look like
Includes patios greenhouses ect. Notice the lack of...
spikef35
Sponsored Products
Taylor sofa 62" - Two-seat Gray-Stone fabric
Interior Define
Celeste Floral Wall Screen - MULTI COLORS
Horchow
Balance Bookshelf in Walnut
$699.99 | Dot & Bo
Zaneen | Invisibili D8-6053 Recessed Lighting
$747.20 | YLighting
Commercial-style Stainless Steel French Fry Cutter
Overstock.com
Refrax Stainless Steel Eight-Light Pendant w/Swarovski Clear Spectra Crystal, 32
Bellacor
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Divani
Home Depot
Kichler Aliso Chrome Chandelier 6-Light
PLFixtures
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™