Is this wilt, mold, insects - is my Clematis dying?

serenae(6)October 11, 2010

I've been so busy with other projects in my yard this year that I didn't notice how bad my Clematis had gotten! Some of the lower leaves started to brown in July, but I figured it was just from the very hot and dry weather.

I have been watering it every day, except for when it rains of course.

These brown leaves are now all the way up almost half way, a few have holes in them, and a few have whitish bits on them.

Info:

It's a Jackmanii Clematis, and I just planted it this past spring.

It flowered quite a lot for it's first year (repeatedly), but it's spindly. I was going to trim it back in the spring. However, I'm worried that it's actually dying and that because the lower parts are ALL brown leaves, that if I cut it back too far it will hurt it.

Help???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Unfortunately, this can be normal behavior. Many of mine look exactly the same.

You should whack it off six inches from the ground in early spring or anytime after regular frosts so it isn't encouraged to start growing again.

You shouldn't worry about these vines, the new growth is going to come up from the crown which you should have buried when you planted. Not from these stems which are done.

Daily watering should not be necessary except for tiny pots or newly planted Clems in extreme heat.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 11:26AM
opheliathornvt zone 5

Lots of mine look terrible too. My Henryi has 6' of brown leaves, but has produced a couple of beautiful white flowers from that brown mess. Others are just done for the year. Nothing to worry about.

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 9:45AM
serenae(6)

Well, I'm relieved that even this many brown leaves are still okay and "normal".
Thanks both of you for your replies - I'll do the big chop in the early spring and also plant some shallow-root plants around the bottom so that they can cover the ugliness next year!

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 8:16AM
More Discussions
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
ianrtaylor
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™