Dr Seuss, not doing so well...

cygnwulf(7b DFW)December 10, 2013

It's been a bit cold lately, hasn't it? I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with my Brug.

I have a Dr Seuss Brugmansia that's in a pot right now that I just got late this summer. It's about 3 feet tall and in a 12" pot, I planned on potting it up or putting it in the ground in the spring. Since it's been so cold lately, it's been spending almost as much time indoors as out, but when it's inside, it's sharing a sunny window with my Lisbon lemon tree (which is blooming like mad right now, making my house smell nice.)

The poor sad brug baby, though, has gotten kind of pale yellow, and has dropped most of it's lower leaves, (It kinda looks almost like a palm tree right now), though it has some tiny little leaves at the scars where the big ones dropped, and some more at the bases of the remaining leaves. It hasn't forked yet. I have been giving it occasional drinks of half strength miracle grow (about every three weeks), and substituting fish emulsion sometimes when it's outside (that smelly stuff is hard to use indoors) and it's soil moisture has been pretty average, I'm not letting water stand in the saucer and I'm letting the pot get lighter before re-watering.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
monet_g

I think what your plant is experiencing is normal. It's slowing down due to lack of ideal conditions. The leaf coloring and drop is typical. Many of us keep them just alive during the winter and don't expect a stellar looking/acting plant. I wouldn't fertilize until I saw new growth in Spring and water sparingly.

Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 12:12PM
cygnwulf(7b DFW)

Okay, Thank you for putting my mind at ease. Should I prune it at any point or just let it go till next year? I know it's growth is a little stunted because of the size of the pot, I plan on potting it up in to a larger one in the spring.

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 3:23PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

If you have the room, I would put him in the ground. I have had one inground since 2005, and he comes back each year with a multi-trunk tree.................Love this brug, and if I could have only ONE, it would be this one. Spring isn't that far away so just keep him okay until then, and plant him out..................you won't be sorry.

Bookmark   December 25, 2013 at 8:52AM
More Discussions
Here's to a great World Series tonight
Looking forward to a good World Series . Guess I'm...
BeachLorax
brugs for trade
I have these Brugs. Looking to trade. Infinity Phanomenal Tiara Rosa...
maile_2010
Anyone have Painted Lady cuttings?
As common as painted lady used to be i am having trouble...
xeriscape8321
Brugmansia Eternity
I think everyone should have no problems flowering...
boonboon
WANTED: Rooted Cuttings. Any Variety
I spent a small fortune on small UNROOTED cuttings,...
poohbearlvr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™