Potting medium for clematis

ckriegerOctober 9, 2008

I have been reading this forum all summer and have gleaned a lot of wonderful knowledge. I do have a question that I cannot find the answer to though. I will be placing 2 clematis' in pot this fall and plan to overwinter them in the garage. My question is what type of potting medium should I use in the pots? All I can find is potting soil with fetilizer that lasts 3 months such as Miracle Grow. Is this all right to use? Thank you for any advice.

Carey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

If the plants are dormant, then the fertilizer shouldn't cause any issues. Miracle Grow or Scotts potting medias all have fertilizer and that is what I have used when potting up clematis to overwinter in their pots. Just leave the pots outside until the plants are dormant due to them having several frosts. Once that happens and the temps. start staying consistently cold, move the pots into the garage assuming it is not heated. An ideal temp range is so that the pots don't freeze but stay around 35 to 40 degrees. Luckily for me, I have had success just allowing the pots to sit on the ground outside over the winter. Another option is to bury the pots in holes in the ground.

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 4:19PM
More Discussions
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™