Immature Fruit turning soft

bossjim1July 28, 2012

I have a Ponderosa lemon tree, three years old, in a large pot. It has lots of lemons but I just noticed that they are getting soft while still green. I think I have a problem but don't know how to diagnose it Can you help?

Thanks, Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Jim, can you post up some photos of the tree? It may be that your fruit is just starting to come ripe, and this is simply a normal process. If we can see the tree and the fruit, maybe we can give you some ideas on what's going on.

Patty S.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 9:03PM
bossjim1

Thanks Patty. The one largest lemon is beginning to turn yellow, but the tree has fruit of probably 5 different sizes and is blooming again now. I'm embarrassed to say I think I have solved the mystery. We have been getting a lot of rain over the last 2 weeks, so I haven't watered. Well, I soaked it real good this morning and this evening nearly all the fruits are firm. I think they were just dehydrated. Does this make sense?

Jim

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 10:16PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Yes. Absolutely. Be care in having wild swings in watering or you can end up with split fruit. Keep watering it on a regular basis so it doesn't dry out. When fruit get soft, the skin will shrink. When you rehydrate the tree and the fruit rehydrate, the skin won't stretch back, and it can split. But, got that was all it was!

Patty S.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 12:20AM
More Discussions
New leaves - possible too much watering?
Hi! New member here. I haven't had a chance to go back...
springddd
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
Should Moro Blood Orange be ripe yet in Zone 9b Southern CA?
We purchased 2 Moro Blood Oranges last spring and they...
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Help with citrus scale
Hello all, my satsuma mandarin is dropping leaves....
Jeff
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™