Thinking of moving 2 mature clematis

monarae_gw(z4 IOWA)October 17, 2009

I live in northern Iowa. I am taking care of my Mom's home, as she is now into a nursing home. Been a long year...sigh...Anyway, she has 2 very lovely clematis that she wants me to take. It is already mid Oct. here in Iowa. Would it be better to move them now, or in the spring? I gave these to her years ago, and they have been her favorites for a long time. I don't want to do this "wrong". Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

MonaRae

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
opheliathornvt zone 5

I'm no expert, but I'd wait. I read somewhere that you should try to get fall-planted plants into the ground before all the leaves were off the trees, and here, we're close to that. You're 1 zone colder than me, so you must be even colder. If you had no choice, I'd say you could take a chance, but if you can wait, I think I would.
I'm sorry about your mother.

    Bookmark   October 18, 2009 at 7:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michael_in_chicago(z5)

If you really want to move them now you could - just dig a very large hole to remove as much of the roots as possible and have your other hole pre-dug, burying the stems a little deeper than you found them. Keep it well watered until frost. A mature clematis should be fine, even in your zone.

    Bookmark   October 22, 2009 at 7:13PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Question on a vendor
Hi, Has anyone ever purchased clematis from a vendor...
bellarosa
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
Fragrant Oberon
I've become obsessed with the Fragrant Oberon clem,...
lisakaye551
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™