Finding Turface

lyndanorthcoast(6A)July 9, 2012

While searching for the components necessary for Al's 1:1:1 gritty mix, I discovered that Turface is also used by bonsai growers. Checking the web for local bonsai materials in upstate NY, I turned up a source for Tuface near home. Dutch Hollow Bonsai Nursery & Store in Avon, NY. Maybe I'm the last person on earth to discover the bonsai connection, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

If you're purchasing it already packaged for bonsai, you'll pay through the nose. If it is still in its original bag (40-50#) it will be more reasonable.

Yep, I became aquainted with Turface around twenty five years ago while attending conferences and industry shows relating to the golf course industry as a consultant. Turface is first and foremost an amendment or construction material for sports fields.

I started adding it to my potting mix after that. My first bonsai mixes didn't remotely resemble what it is today and I really don't know when it became popular for that use. Quite a long time, I expect. I've pretty much lost my infatuation with Turface at this point but know where it can be purchased locally.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 8:18PM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Alot of people use the oil absorbing clays also. From what Ive read, its the same thing but way cheaper and easier to find.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 1:50AM
lyndanorthcoast(6A)

It was a 50lb bag for something like $25.00. I've sifted half of it and will use it in the 1:1:1 gritty mix for my Meyer lemon. First time I've had or transplanted a lemon. Wish me luck.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 7:11AM
More Discussions
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
New leaves - possible too much watering?
Hi! New member here. I haven't had a chance to go back...
springddd
Need help with my Meyer lemon!
Hi everyone, new to this forum and to gardening in...
wanderess
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
My Meyer Lemon Tree is not doing well... can I save it?
Hi All, I am new to this forum and joined because I...
braun928
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™