aloe ID

Microthrix(9)October 4, 2012

Ive had this aloe for about 4 years now, and it has grown nicely, even though it is still a bit small. i had it in a pot for about 3 years, and just last year i put it in the ground.

it seems to be ok with full sun, although it has yellowed a bit in summer. it has pupped prolifically, and has piut out tons of flowers. so any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I am not possitive. Aloe peckii , Aloe mcloughlinii , or a hybrid between A. jucundi and one of those above. I think I am voting for aloe mcloughlinii. My understanding of A pekii is that its markings pale ast enters adulthood. Your rosettes seem crowded and strappier and upward curving instead of firmly outward open rosettes. It might be cultural but it might be a different species too. I am not an expert , just a blabber. Coffee does it to me.

If this is your aaloe. I would be interested in a small pup after awhile.

Here is a site thsat shows how confusing it can be in this corner of aloehood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Confusing striped aloes.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 11:23AM
lzrddr(91360)

now that I have seen true Aloe mcloughliniis from location in Africa, I am pretty sure that is not that, nor does it look like Aloe peckii, which are notoriously sluggish off setters and generally have lost most of the spotting by the time they are in the offsetting stage. Aloe jucundiis are smaller. My guess is the same as 90% of all the similar looking aloes shown- Aloe hemmingii... very typical of this species.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 12:05PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

My hemmengii still has not pupped but that is not a disagreement. My hemmengii is short and stout so my guess was for something other but it is a loner still and not pupping...Not a disagreement because I really don't know. This hemmengii is grown in part shade and watered once a week, sometimes twice a week. The markings and marginal teeth look right.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 12:28PM
KrikketMann

wantonamara, what is that pod in your picture?

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 8:19AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

That is a Stapelia gigantea bud just before opening.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 9:00AM
Microthrix(9)

Oh my, I forgot about this post :O thanks for the ideas on an Id guys :P there's even more pups now, and the plant looks healthier, so you sure can have a pup Mara. (If you still want one that is) just shoot me an email. (Use the one I posted in my bio, not the main garden web one)

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 8:33PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I am unsure by what you mean"your bio" I emailed the one on your page and it came back with problems. You can get a hold of me through my email on my page. I will try again in a bit. Busy day ahead.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 11:02AM
More Discussions
ID this succulent now that it's beginning to flower?
no one was able to ID this guy before, but now that...
kwie2011
New too indoor succulents, need advice
Hey everybody, So i've recently started trying to grow...
gerettj
preparing the new season
A first post on Houzz. This is a picture from the beginning...
hablu
March blooms (2015)
March is here...what succulents do you have blooming? Not...
rina_
Help! what's wrong with these succulents
They are with me just only for 2 months. Their leaves...
hm825
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™