wintering little broken clematis

ggrumke(z8OR)October 3, 2009

I just purchased an unlabeled clematis in a quart pot for a dollar. The stem is bent over, not quite broken. I am looking for advice--if this was a healthier clematis, I would plant out doors right now. I am a little concerned since it doesn't have foliage below the bend in the stem. Can I put it in a pot and grow indoors, leave in the garage, or go ahead and plant outside in the garden?

Advice appreciated.

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garystpaul(4)

I'm no expert, but have grown quite a few clematis and I've overwintered frail ones under lights in the house and also planted them out in early fall and left them to fend for themselves in our bitter winters. Both methods have been successful. If the clem has a chance to develop a good root systemÂin zone 6 that shouldn't be a problemÂthere's every reason to think it will sprout for you in the spring. I'd make a nice big hole and fill it with good soil and plenty of compost to make the roots feel welcome. Also plant it a couple of inches below the soil line (from where it was in the pot). GarystPaul

Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 11:46PM
ggrumke(z8OR)

Thanks Gary, planting right now outside is my preference. I will go ahead and put it outside--if is doesn't make it I am only out a dollar.

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 12:04PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I would plant it outside now, make sure you plant it deeper than it is in the pot.

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
Help - Where can I buy clematis C. florida Alba Plena online?
Hi everyone, do you know when I can find this clematis?...
deereyebrow
Is Sweet Autumn Clematis Appropriate?
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny 7a
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™