Grow Paul Farges up a Weeping Maple?

greenhavenrdgardenOctober 26, 2011

I planted 12 clems this fall and I have 2 left that I am unsure about. I have a Virginiana and a Fargesioides.

I was hoping to plant the Fargesioides to grow up my Weeping Japanese Maple (its full grown but a smaller tree-aprox 12-15ft high and very wide spread weeping down to the ground)). Can anyone tell me if this is a bad idea? Will the clem damage my tree? I thought the white flowers would look great against the deep red leaves but I'm worried the expensive full grown tree will get ruined. I bought the PF because I had heard it is a 'lighter' vine but now I'm second guessing myself.

Also, if it is a bad idea, which if the 2 I have left are prettier to pair with a Jackmani Superba I have planted at the base of a very visible trellis?

Thanks in Advance.

Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

I would not call Paul Farges a 'lighter' vine by any means! I keep a framework of older stems and only cut back the growth that arose from them the previous year. Those old stems are at least 1" wide now they are 6-7 years old or so. I'm not sure how big they'll get eventually but it looks like they could get to a significant size. How would you cut it back in the tree in the spring without damaging the tree? It doesn't sound like your tree is big enough to take it. I have a friend who grows a Paul Farges into a tree - but it's a big, mature tree in a wilder part of her acreage and she just lets it be. That approach wouldn't likely work in either a smaller tree or a smaller garden.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
What size container would you recommend?
I have several clematis growing in the ground. However,...
gardenbug
Need 2 clematis that go well together
Hello. I am putting in a new trellis that gets full...
suz9601
transplanting ?
My friend is getting rid of (throwing away) a clem...
sorie6
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
How climate specific are clematis?
I want to add a few clematis to my gardens. I actually...
subk3
Sponsored Products
Pure Rugs | Japanese Cowhide Rug
YLiving.com
A19 Lighting | Gran Majorca Wall Sconce
$290.99 | YLighting
Enterprise Dining Table in Walnut
$699.00 | LexMod
Koncept Gen 3 Equo Daylight LED Modern Floor Lamp Orange
Euro Style Lighting
Mushroom Pop-Up Straight Tub Drain - 1-1/2" Tubing
Signature Hardware
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs State of Honor Ivory 2 ft.
$41.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™