Grow Paul Farges up a Weeping Maple?

greenhavenrdgardenOctober 26, 2011

I planted 12 clems this fall and I have 2 left that I am unsure about. I have a Virginiana and a Fargesioides.

I was hoping to plant the Fargesioides to grow up my Weeping Japanese Maple (its full grown but a smaller tree-aprox 12-15ft high and very wide spread weeping down to the ground)). Can anyone tell me if this is a bad idea? Will the clem damage my tree? I thought the white flowers would look great against the deep red leaves but I'm worried the expensive full grown tree will get ruined. I bought the PF because I had heard it is a 'lighter' vine but now I'm second guessing myself.

Also, if it is a bad idea, which if the 2 I have left are prettier to pair with a Jackmani Superba I have planted at the base of a very visible trellis?

Thanks in Advance.

Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

I would not call Paul Farges a 'lighter' vine by any means! I keep a framework of older stems and only cut back the growth that arose from them the previous year. Those old stems are at least 1" wide now they are 6-7 years old or so. I'm not sure how big they'll get eventually but it looks like they could get to a significant size. How would you cut it back in the tree in the spring without damaging the tree? It doesn't sound like your tree is big enough to take it. I have a friend who grows a Paul Farges into a tree - but it's a big, mature tree in a wilder part of her acreage and she just lets it be. That approach wouldn't likely work in either a smaller tree or a smaller garden.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
ianrtaylor
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
Is this clematis dead legs?
This is a corallary to my earlier message showing the...
marko_212
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™