cut the clematis for winter or not?

butterfly_friendOctober 2, 2006

I have had 5 different kinds of clematis growing on an arbor for about five years now. My father in law always cuts his before the frost hits. I have never cut mine, should I? Does it get fuller or bloom better? I finally got it to go completely up and over so the arbor is completely covered, I am scared that I would have to start all over again. Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Pruning a clematis is never a requirement - all forms will grow perfectly well without ever seeing pruning shears :-) However, you may get better bloom and certainly a fuller plant if you do prune. When and how is determined more by type of clematis and your location, but for the more common hybrid forms in colder climates, I'd leave any serious pruning until late winter/early spring.

Bookmark   October 3, 2006 at 10:33AM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

"I finally got it to go completely up and over so the arbor is completely covered, I am scared that I would have to start all over again. Does anyone have any advice?"
That is great..but, do you get blooms all over from the ground up or just on top?...Pruning type 3s which are hard pruned.. bloom on vines that are new and produced that season..most likely that is the reason why he prunes them...if yours is blooming on previous years growth ..then you clematis most likely is a pruning type 2 and shouldn't be pruned except to keep in bounds...knowing the name of your clematis would help to advise you how to prune..I am in agreement with GG..I hard prune mine late winter/early spring, which for me is Mid February..same time I prune my roses...Jeanne

Bookmark   October 3, 2006 at 11:59AM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

"I finally got it to go completely up and over so the arbor is completely covered, I am scared that I would have to start all over again. Does anyone have any advice?"
That is great..but, do you get blooms all over from the ground up or just on top?...Pruning type 3s which are hard pruned.. bloom on vines that are new and produced that season..most likely that is the reason why he prunes them...if yours is blooming on previous years growth ..then you clematis most likely is a pruning type 2 and shouldn't be pruned except to keep in bounds...knowing the name of your clematis would help to advise you how to prune..I am in agreement with GG..I hard prune mine late winter/early spring, which for me is Mid February..same time I prune my roses...Jeanne

Bookmark   October 3, 2006 at 12:00PM
More Discussions
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™