Clems sunk in their pots -- plant out now??

cohouserOctober 18, 2009

This spring, in a state of irrational exuberance, I bought several clems without knowing where I was going to put them. Then the hot weather came on, so I sunk them into the ground in their pots to try to keep them happy through the summer. There they still are. Is it too late to plant them now? Will they be OK through the winter in their pots?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

You could try it, I would mulch heavily and make sure to plant extra deep. It's a risky business at best, but if you do keep them in their pots I would still mulch heavily. I am by no means or stretch of the imagination an expert on clems. If fact, I'm pretty new to it.
But, that being said, they probably stand a better chance in the ground than still in the pots.
Have you looked at the root systems? Are they getting pot bound? If the roots look healthy, and they are leafed out well, you could plant with a couple of nodes 6 to 8 inches down underground to protect the plant against winter. It may still have a chance then. But, do it now, don't wait. Remember to keep it watered well until the ground freezes.

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 4:02PM
opheliathornvt zone 5

I do that all the time. I have pots that have been in the ground 3 or 4 years while I wait for them to get big enough to plant out, or for me to find a spot for them. I think mulching is a good idea, but I wouldn't worry about it. Of course, I don't consider myself a clem expert, either, but I do grow quite a number of them.

Bookmark   October 21, 2009 at 10:27PM
carolyn18810(z5)

Each year for the last 4 or 5 years, I have heeled in a number pots of clems for the winter that did not have a large enough root system to be planted out during the regular growing season. Out of all the clems that I have handled this way, I have only lost 1 and I think the reason I lost that one was that the root system was pathetic at best when I received the clem from Chalk Hill's going out of business sale.

I would definitely make sure your plants have the proper moisture until the ground freezes - you can mulch them, but I just cover the entire pot with a couple of inches of dirt - make sure they are sunken into the ground really well. Also, make sure you have a stake or something to mark where you buried your pots so you know in the spring right where you put them.

You should be fine.

Bookmark   November 3, 2009 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Question on a vendor
Hi, Has anyone ever purchased clematis from a vendor...
bellarosa
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
Clematis in SW Tennessee
Just moved here from Northern IL where I had lots and...
ryseryse_2004
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™