Clematis failure

luvidaho_2010(5/6)October 7, 2010

I have tried in the past to grow clematis, I have done in several of the little darlings. I would like to try again but want to be successful this time.

I have quite sandy soil, I have amended an area for a new flower bed with aged horse manure, straw, and compost. The new bed should be ready to plant in by spring. I am building a 6X4 ft arbor over a path in the amended area. I want to plant a clematis on 2 sides, North & South exposure.

I would appreciate suggestions for a variety that would be hardy in my zone and resilient, given my clematis history.

I also read in another thread that some growers put several clematis on one trellis, would 4 be too many?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
opheliathornvt zone 5

I have had success with Etoile Violette. Very dark purple blooms, and a TON of them. Rooguchi is also lovely. Also dark purple, it continues to bloom over a very long period. Never exactly covered in blooms like Etoile, but always something there. Betty Corning is also a long blooming, hearty plant. I am very fond of Ville de Lyon, which I've mistreated and it has not slowed down, and one that is newish to me, but seems like a real sturdy plant is Venosa violacea. I love the blooms and it seems like it's ready to really take over. It sems like the vitacellas really have a will to live, and I've also had good luck with the texensis varieties.
I don't think 4 would be too many for your arbor, but that will depend on which ones you choose. A lot of us plant pretty close.

Bookmark   October 8, 2010 at 9:59AM
luvidaho_2010(5/6)

Thank you for the help, I'll look for the varieties you mentioned. The Etoile sounds great!
I have noticed that a lot of the threads mention planting pretty close, I have until spring to decide.

Bookmark   October 8, 2010 at 9:57PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I have Etoile Violette, Polish Spirit, Betty Corning, Venosa Violacea, Ville de Lyon, Rouge Cardinal, Prince Charles, Princess Diana. The first four are more vigorous and grow larger for me. Polish Spirit blooms far longer than Etoile Violette.

Heavily amended and worked soil has been key for me. In areas of clay with tree roots, Clems have struggled for me. In beds where the entire space was rototilled and composted before anything was planted they have taken off.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 11:33AM
luvidaho_2010(5/6)

I hope that I will be more successful with the amended soil, I did not do this in the past. Hubby got a bit tired of my adding layers and tilling, but he stuck with it. There are no existing plants around the new bed so competition shouldn't be a problem.
Thank you both for your input, I drool over other peoples beautiful clematis. I am hoping to have some to show off next spring.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
When should my Josephine start coming up?
I planted Josephine last spring, she never got very...
mzstitch
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Sponsored Products
Shower Tower Panel System with Waterfall and Body Jet Sprays
Hudson Reed
Red Vanilla Clematis White Porcelain Salad bowls (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
Lighted Fading Tree - M: 62"H x 44"W - Christmas Lights
$269.00 | FRONTGATE
Thermostatic Shower Tower Panel System with Tub Filler
Hudson Reed
Lithonia Lighting 12 in. Wall-Mount White LED Emergency Light with Adjustable Op
$44.97 | Home Depot
Red Vanilla Clematis White Porcelain 9-inch Salad Bowls (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Real Fyre Direct Vent Fireplace Insert with Traditional Fire Screen - AMK309
Hayneedle
Sandusky Key Controls 36 in. W x 78 in. H x 24 in. D Freestanding Steel Cabinet
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™