I thought 'Will Goodwin ' was true blue - or is it?

kris2001(6a - s.e.PA)October 7, 2008

Hi

My Will Goodwin that I planted this year bloomed a few times but was never blue ?? Why? Its ALWAYS a pale purple.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

The flowers are described by most sources as a lavender blue.....it's not what I'd describe as a true blue :-) If you do a Google image search, you will see that coloring is somewhat variable. I find this to be true with many clematis cultivars - light exposure, soil conditions and even the age of the flower will have a lot of influence on specific flower color.

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 7:58AM
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

True GG, not to mention that pictures can also be affected by the type of camera that you take pictures with so if you are comparing the clematis in your garden to pictures posted on the web, that can also lead to confusion.

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 8:14AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

IMHO no Clematis is true blue such as you find in 'Heavenly Blue' morning glories or 'Nikko Blue' hydrangeas. They are all tinted by purple. Not a problem for me, I love purple. Some are certainly bluer than others though.

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 12:06PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

My Will Goodwin was close to a pale true blue last year. This year's bloom was more pale blue lavender.

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 9:47PM
redsox_gw

My HF Young was really blue. At least I think that is the name of it...sorry if I got it wrong. It had some lavender in it but lots of blue tones.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 5:16PM
More Discussions
Clematis in SW Tennessee
Just moved here from Northern IL where I had lots and...
ryseryse_2004
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
ianrtaylor
Longest blooming clematis for Utah
Bloom times just don't follow the rules here in this...
kay21_utahzone5a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™