Lets see those Euphorbias!!!

bsmith717(6)October 18, 2012

I was first introduced to the Euphorbia by a friend I work with. He has had his Euphorbia Trigona for almost 20 years and it is a massive plant. He had the piece he gave me in a cup with water for over a year so needless to say the roots were massive! It was about 10" tall and I was actually quite worried about killing it as over the years I have loved more plants to death then I care to admit to. But after potting it ant waiting about 8 months for it to trust me it has been growing like a wild beast ever since.

Here is is when I first got it. Due to its phallic appearance we gave it a nick name that is a fusion of two words, the first part is another name for a rooster and starts with a C and the other is cactus. I'm sure you can figure it out...

Here it is when I got it.

Here it is in front of my daughters favorite outdoor toy for size reference.

Where it sits now, in the cold season.

My newest acquisition a Euphorbia trigona "red"/"royal red". we shall see how long this one takes for me to earn its trust...

So what do you have in the Euphorbia family and what stories do you have to tell about them????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

I did have a pink tinged trigona but it got damaged and had to go. Shame I really like Euphorbs and would lovd to collect em!

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 5:59AM
kaktuskris

This is not E. trigona, it is E. lactea.

Christopher

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 6:09AM
100mphtortoise(5)

Here's a pic of my peirri var. Elongata. I got it about four months ago,don't know if its toxic can't find much info on it, its about twenty inches tall the leaves are waxy to the touch.I have touched the leaves and trunk no effect but recently I moved it and my arm brushed the leaves and now I got some little spots that resembly poison ivy, but I haven't had any contact with any ivy.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 1:32PM
100mphtortoise(5)

Here's a pic of my peirri var. Elongata. I got it about four months ago,don't know if its toxic can't find much info on it, its about twenty inches tall the leaves are waxy to the touch.I have touched the leaves and trunk no effect but recently I moved it and my arm brushed the leaves and now I got some little spots that resembly poison ivy, but I haven't had any contact with any ivy.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 1:34PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Kaktuskris, the last photo posted by bsmith is a form of trigona, similar to one I had.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 1:35PM
JoeCaudex

My Euphorbia Pachypodioides

Quite an old pic. Tons of new growth now. :)

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 3:32PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

How can you select just one.... especially when it's one of your favorite genera.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 4:15PM
JoeCaudex

Is that euphorbia Stellata bottom left?

I have one!

Lots of new growth since this pic!

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 4:18PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Onr group of plants I could quite readily collect, they are fabulous! Must must find some!

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 4:29PM
bsmith717(6)

Ill post more specific responses when I get to my CPU but these are some great responses my friends.

Ps if anyone wants some trigona I'd be happy to swap with you???

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 4:39PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Yes, Joe indeed it is the very plant! Good growing.

Howard

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 4:40PM
JoeCaudex

Would love a trigona but my euphorbias probably aren't ready for cutting yet to be honest. :(

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 4:42PM
JoeCaudex

Howard could I get IDs on those euphorbias if it's not too much trouble?

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 4:57PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Joe, that's a tall order!

BACK Row Left to Right
E. ambovombensis, capsaintemariensis, alfredii

MIDDLE Row Left to Right
E. squarrosa, obesa(M), suzanne-marnierae, groenwaldii, fasciculata

FRONT Row Left to Right
E. stellata, bupleurifolia, cylindrifolia, White Ball Project(M), meloformis.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 5:57PM
bsmith717(6)

I would LOVE a piece of someone's stellata!

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 7:36PM
kaktuskris

Greenlarry, big plant in bsmith717's first post is E. lactea. I have both, as well as others, and I do know the difference. E. trigona branches grow parallel to the stem, they don't grow as outward as E. lactea, and E. trigona has large leaves, when present, not the tiny ones found on E. lactea. Here is a photo of my E. trigona tonight showing the leaves.

Christopher

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 7:48PM
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

I have always loved euphorbia lactea but it gets too big and out of control. And yes all euphorbia including the hardy north American ones has that white sap. It is toxic and can cause a rash similar to poison ivy. Below some of mine;

Stush

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 8:47PM
bsmith717(6)

I always had wondered why my trigona never had big leaves on it, now I know. It's a lactea!

Thanks!

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 9:01PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

bssmith, having an arm doesn't mean you will grow a caudex. I have an arm of E. stellata that's a year old and it has grown but no new arms and no caudex. I also have several arms of E. squarrosa growing and only one of them has sent up new arms. I haven't unearthed it yet to see if it is getting a caudex.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 9:48AM
lzrddr(91360)

I have far too many Euphorbias to show them all... and I have lost a number over the years due to poor husbandry... but I still have about 140 species left surviving that are doing well in my current client (I don't do indoor plants)... but my climate may be changing soon (to 9a from 9b) eliminating about 80% of these, if not more... don't know... may have to start learning to grow plants indoors or in a protected area.

Here is one of my favorites... Euphorbia mayurananthani

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 12:02PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Kaktuskris, I know the first pic wasnt trigona, I meant the last one he posted, with the red tinge, like one I had that got IDed as trigona.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 3:56PM
emerald1951

Hi....heres a few of mine and 2 more in the next post...linda

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 6:38PM
emerald1951

Hi here are the last 2 that I have....linda
Oh by-the-way...the middle one in the first post got sunburned early in the summer...will that is time disappear or will it always have the brown...linda

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 6:42PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Sunburn usually doesn't go away. If it happens on plants with leaves, obviously when the leave dies the scar is gone.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 10:14AM
lzrddr(91360)

Euphorbia ammak semivariegated (about 20' tall now)

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 1:46PM
lzrddr(91360)

Here is/are a few more (depends if I am successful adding two photos at once...)... nope.. only one photo at a time ... E nerifolia variegated

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 1:52PM
lzrddr(91360)

oops.. NO images went that time...

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 1:53PM
bsmith717(6)

I forgot about this thread! Come on folks there have to be some more beautiful Euphorbias out there!

Check out how much my Red Trigona has grown in a month and half!!! These sure arent like the Lacteas. It took a good 6 months before my Lactea started growing at all when I first got it. I read somewhere on the net that they have to learn to trust you/you have to earn their respect before they will grow for you. :)

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 2:08PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Pedilanthus macrocarpa AKA Euphorbia lomelii

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 12:52AM
karyn1(7a)

Here's a few of mine. E. flanaganii

E. knuthii

E. lactea cristata variegata

Another variety of E. lactea cristata

This post was edited by karyn1 on Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 9:43

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 9:08AM
karyn1(7a)

Here's a seasonal variety, Euphorbia pulcherrima. This variety is so pretty I'm almost tempted to keep one for myself.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 9:36AM
bsmith717(6)

Nice phorbs' guys!

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 10:38AM
caudex1

misera

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 1:45PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

"Misera"...sounds like a song. I can hear the gypsies singing around a campfire.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 1:52PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Well this was cool... cuz that's as close as I want to get to these interesting plants!

Everyone's pics are so wonderful, but caudex's little Euphorbonsia is just - wow. Had to blurt that!

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 3:17PM
bougainvillea(8b/ VA Beach)

This is the only Euphorbia I have and love, given by a member of this forum (Thanks Nick).

Euphorbia decaryi var. decaryi

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 4:16PM
lzrddr(91360)

Euphorbia mammillaris (aka fimbriata) variegated out in garden... such an easy plant I forget I have it most of the time.... sort of getting swallowed up in the garden

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 4:56PM
lzrddr(91360)

here's another that is sort of wasted in the garden... have to pot this one soon before I accidentally step on it

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 4:59PM
lzrddr(91360)

this is a plant I at least took the time to put in its own pot... Euphorbia susannae...

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 5:01PM
lzrddr(91360)

Here is an unknown species, though seems to be related to E ammak... skinnier and more spiny, though... picked up speed these last few years.. .was just 1 foot tall when planted 6 years ago. Almost caught up to this Beaucarnea.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 5:03PM
lzrddr(91360)

Euphorbia peltigera (like a miniature version of Euphorbia hamata) in a pot ... but old black plastic pot it came in... need to repot it someday... these plants are amazingly tolerant of being the same pot and the same soil for what seems like decades...

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 5:05PM
lzrddr(91360)

Euphorbia bicompacta (aka Synadenium grantii etc.)... looks great all year round until end of December.. .then just a bunch of sticks for till the end of February when it starts making leaves again.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 5:07PM
lzrddr(91360)

it is, in this climate, one of the easiest Euphorbias to grow (easiest of all plants perhaps) ... this was a 6" 'cutting' (a 'snappling' actually... I just snapped off a small branch and stuck in in the soil) last year... and now it's already about 4' tall and growing fast.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 5:10PM
lzrddr(91360)

another super easy species... E echinus... also grows wherever one of its branches is stuck in the ground.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 5:12PM
lzrddr(91360)

Euphorbia hamata flowers this time of year

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 5:13PM
lzrddr(91360)

Lastly (for now) Euphorbia jansvallensis looking good if not a bit too etiolated this time of years

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 5:15PM
bsmith717(6)

What an unbelievable collection you have!!!

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 5:49PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

How come such a limited variety of Euphs on here?

If I had access to my accounts at Home (Internet & phone down at home post Hurricane damage), I'd be posting more of them myself.

Here's an old favorite (for tremendous leaf variability):

E. francoisii

close ups of leaf patterns (which I love)

lance shaped & veiny

Some white E. milii blooms (these are old pix, but it happens this white milii is blooming at home right now in December).

The lovely bloom of E. milii v moratii (one of my favorites); look how tiny this cutting was when it bloomed).

A potful of same, which was badly grown & I pruned pretty hard to try & shape it more attractively.

looks at these great patterned leaves:

That's it for now!!

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 7:53PM
caudex1

suzannae-marnierae

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 12:14AM
bsmith717(6)

Well, well, well Pirategirl; not only are you showing off but it seems you think your Euphorbia are better than ours...!!! ;)Nice collection. It blows me away the diversity of this group of plants. Some look like what most people wold describe if you asked "what does a cactus look like", some look like crazy stumps, some look grassy, some look like a normal leaved plant, spikes, no spikes, its crazy!

Nice specimen caudex!

DOES ANYONE WANT TO DO SOME EUPHORBIA SWAPPIN'???

I come from the planted aquarium/fish breeding scene so I have the supplies to pack and ship my Lactea pieces and will send them USPS Priority with tracking. All I will request is sending me $.01 to my PayPal account so I can print the shipping label from there. If you DON'T have PayPal no worries id still be happy to trade if your Euphorbia tickles my fancy!!! :)

Please??????

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 12:51AM
bsmith717(6)

Here are the ones particularly catching my eyeballs

peirri var. Elongata- 100mphtortise

Euphorbia Pachypodioides- joecaudex

E.sunrise - stush2049

Euphorbia mayurananthani, e.mammillaris, Suzanne, the one related to Ammak, echinus, jansvallensis - lzrddr

Euphorbia lomelii -wantanamara

Misera , suzannae-marnierae - caudex1

E. francoisii - pirategirl

Please know that I really have no idea what the value of these Phorbs' are so if trading my lactea for your plant is not at all an even swap I mean no disrespect. Also if you don't want to trade but can spare a piece as long as its not too expensive I'd be happy to PayPal you what you feel it's worth.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 1:25AM
karyn1(7a)

Caudex1 I like your suzannae-marnierae, really interesting looking, and once again your choice of container enhances it.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 7:15AM
bsmith717(6)

I agree, in my head it looks like a dinosaur egg. Where did you get that pot from if you don't mind sharing? I have an Aloe "sunrise" that sure would look nice in a pot like that.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 9:39AM
caudex1

>>>>Where did you get that pot from if you don't mind sharing? I have an Aloe "sunrise" that sure would look nice in a pot like that.

I make the pots. Looks like I need to create more.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 10:22AM
bsmith717(6)

Absolutely!

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 11:43AM
bsmith717(6)

So anyone want to swap some Euphorbias? I need something else to pester my wife with!!! ;)

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 1:16AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

I can't tell where in the US you are, but it's the wrong time of year for many of us to swap, going into Winter as we are. We tend to do this in Spring, when it's save to ship plants w/out worries of freezing or weather complications.

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 5:07PM
bsmith717(6)

That makes sense. Makes me feel better about my Euphorb, I just didn't think anyone wanted my variety! ;)

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 5:42PM
TT, zone 5b MA

...more euphorbs...

E. californica

monadenium ritchiei (kinda euphorbish)

T

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 9:25PM
mrlike2u(**)

B Smith LOL your comment to pirate girl is worth a small pup from a Euphorbia bupleurifolia potted and ready can drop off if in area See also your email

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 10:48PM
caudex1

kondoi

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 10:52PM
bsmith717(6)

Mr, I responded to your message an happily accept your offer. Hopefully you have an iPhone and can set an alarm on the first day of spring to remind you to ship me the bupleurifolia!

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 12:24AM
karyn1(7a)

Caudex1 that is so cool looking. The form is kind of like the windswept Cypress trees in Carmel.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 9:47AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I love that little straight rock setting up the almost right angle relation ship. Very subtle touch and it elevates the whole image alluding to what might have been before the stiff wind thus emphasising its new state of being . It sets up ambiguity. I do so appreciate other realities behind the big statement. Kudos to your Kondoi. He is an a"cute" little fellow. LOL.- Mara

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 10:48AM
bsmith717(6)

Yes the rule of 3rd's can be applied to anything aesthetic whether it be photo/paint, automobile design or even potted plants. I love art!

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 11:13AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Yea, but rules are meant to be broken when they get in the way.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 12:06PM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

Hi Everyone!
I'm enjoying all the great plants I see! But also makes me want to go shopping! LOL!
Here's one of my little guys. Tag is lost so i'm looking through the Arid lands web where I got it. It's actually hubby's plant, he thought it looked like an alien, so he wanted it. Guess who's cared for it the last 2 yrs! me!! lol.. The blank look on his face when I asked if he know the name was priceless. he he..

Possibly 'Euphorbia arida' or 'schoenlandii'

JoJo

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 3:29PM
mrlike2u(**)

Euphorbia decaryi X ????? Will GW allow me to say it ? If not think of a word meaning: a son who has an unknown or a not located father...

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 7:39PM
lzrddr(91360)

Have a pot with a smorgashborg of Euphorbias in it... getting pretty darn crowded... someone's gonna have to give up soon here.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 11:39PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Come on!!! there's always room for one more.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 11:48PM
caudex1

suppressa

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 10:00AM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

It's a very gray day today and the pictures aren't my best and not near as nice as those posted by some of you. I'm thrilled to see all of them.

I'm hoping for LOTS of seed from this one. Pictured are both male and female plants.

I've taken some arms from this stock plant and we will see if they form a caudex??????

This is just one of many... they reproduce like rabbits!!!!!

Keith, I may just have to get one of your pots for this one... your plant presentation is beautiful!

Time to make some cuttings of this overgrown plant.... but not until spring!

Maybe a bonsai pot is in its future?????

This is a two year old seedling from my stock plant's seed. It's forming a nice caudex.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 11:03

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 10:54AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Gorgeous pix everybody, such nice plants!

My E. decaryii, love the leaf shape, all squiggly like this:

another shot

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 7:11PM
Microthrix(9)

i got lots of euphorbias to show ye guys ... hehehe âº
horrida

yhis one is a bit crazy, and needs to be propped up/trimmed in spring

baby ferox

christmas tree looking mammillaris

little virosa

from left-right.
decaryi - delphenensis - forgot the name (/_\)

forgot-the-name and anoplia

forgot-the-name-again and spiralis cristata

no name crest

no name

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 7:16PM
shauntavia(z8 GA)

thank you for this thread...i have just id'd the plant i received for mother's day...e.lactea

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 8:03PM
csmartyonline(7a)

Great thread. I've enjoyed all the photos. This is from last year ... some of my Euphorbias outside for the summer.

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 10:52AM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

One of the more common, and I forgot the name! LOL! I believe common name is corn cob? Anyway... She's showing off her pink. :-)

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 6:00PM
lzrddr(91360)

Here's my oldest Euphorbia obesa... getting less obese and more columnar. Now 13.5" tall (about 35cm). Started out (when I got it) about 10"... doing well (usually I manage to rot these, particularly since this one lives outdoors most of the year. In fact, last winter I forgot to bring it in... thankfully never froze last winter).

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 1:29PM
lzrddr(91360)

Here's a 'snowflake' pair. Left is Euphorbia horrida 'snowflake' and right is Euphorbia polygona 'Snowflake'. Obviously Euphorbias are not very toxic to snails (one ate the tip off this last week and seems to have survived the experience).

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 1:31PM
ltran54(9)

This thread has the most unusual, and beautiful plants.
Thank you every body for posting. I enjoyed it very much.
Marie

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 5:43PM
Drock(Z5 Boulder, CO)

Hi all!
I believe that this is my first C&S post!
My Euphorbia ammak (unless someone can convince me that it is E. ingens or even something else)...

-Derrick

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 11:14PM
mrlike2u(**)

Going out on a limb here thinking white coloring of the thorns indicate the later of the two

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 11:31PM
bsmith717(6)

Nice to see some new additions!

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 12:21AM
lancer99

The cutest non-caudiciform euphorbia, E. sepulta!

In a 3" pot.

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 11:32PM
lancer99

>Here's a 'snowflake' pair. Left is Euphorbia horrida 'snowflake' and right is Euphorbia polygona 'Snowflake'.

How do you tell the difference between them?

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 12:18AM
lzrddr(91360)

one has purple/red flowers (the E polygona) and one has yellow-green flowers (E horrida). in general, E horridas are more spiny, but this unfortunately is not a consistent finding... the flower/cyathea color is not 100% either, but a better characteristic to go by than the spine thing. Polygonas also have more straight up and down ridges, which E horridas tend to be more 'wavy' (again, this is a generalization and doesn't work perfectly). Ultimately, I cannot find a hard and fast rule to tell these two species apart, and it seems sort of up to those who are in the know to tell the rest of us.

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 1:05AM
bsmith717(6)

Very "cute" phorb lancer, reminds me of my thimball cactus with no hair!

Here are some shots of my friends with my real camera.

Couple non succulents. First one to guess the far left plant (pretty easy) will get a smiley face!!!

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 1:58AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hello again,

It really IS amazing how broad a family of plants these are. Also, how low maintenance & easy many of them can , tho' some DO take some active care rather than benign neglect.

Pretty little things, especially for January after cold has kicked in.

Yellow against white contrast reminds me of fried eggs, bright & sunny; somehow always lifts my spirits.

My favorite E. milii v. moratii that I'm reshaping by pruning repeatedly. It leafed in nicely

I just can't get enough of this plant, even when not in bloom.

My recently repotted E. francoisii settling back in to its pot.

E. blue Hawaii (I think that's the ID)

Small little thing, had some lovely green bracts when I first got it this past year. Given me by a collector of always interesting plants, can't wait to see what it's going to do in the future.

Caudex: your plants, your pots & stagings continue to amaze me. A few in this thread have a rather Dr. Suess feel to them, especially that bulbous caudex w/ that sort of sticking straight up growth, always makes me smile. TFS

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 12:34PM
chaparralgirl(Sonoran Desert (CA))

I know I'm late to the game, but I finally got a chance to get some pics of my Euphorbias. :)

Euphorbia horrida "Snowflake"

Euphorbia obesa

Euphorbia suzannae

Euphorbia mammillaris "Corncob"

Euphorbia anoplia "Tanzanian Zipper Plant"

Euphorbia pulcherrima "Poinsettia"

*CG*

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 6:23PM
bsmith717(6)

Its growing season again (at least in my area, St.Louis MO)!

My Lactea has started awakening...

I am still open to swap with anyone, my Lactea certainly wont mind the trim.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 3:33PM

I accidentally brought Mr. Firesticks home last week... E. tirucalli

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 3:54PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hey Purple,

Nice colors on this new purchase. Just checking, you know to be cautious about their sap right? Wash well after handling, if cutting, etc. maybe even wear gloves? Just in case.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 4:37PM
petrushka

i think those are submammilaris and polygona , i got them as NOID . i've had them for almost 20 years. submammilaris grew very huge and then collapsed, this is just a little 2" piece that 'grew up' in last 5 years.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 5:04PM
petrushka

and another 20 year companion: lactea cristata . it sports quite a bit, i have to cut them off often. does anybody know if it's possible to reduce the number of sports?

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 5:09PM

Yes, PG, that's what the reference to accident was about. The warning applies to all E's (sap, as you mentioned,) AFAIK.

I could get a rash just looking at it, which I'm enticed to do often. Just so darn weird and snazzy, I succumbed to his charms, even though I know he just wants to irritate me. Will find him another home if we have to break up, but plan to avoid touching it in any way, ridiculous caution, as if it were poison ivy. If I feel like I'm getting weak and need some contact, I'll definitely practice safe lex (half latex...,) and use prophylactic measures.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 5:14PM
bsmith717(6)

Funny Purple, safe tex perhaps!

My buddy at work who I got my first Phorb from trimmed his Lactea a few months ago and wound up looking like he got mugged afterwards. All swollen up in his eye area, it was pretty bad.

I really like the fire sticks and have been trying to find some for myself. I'm not sure about the coloration in my area since I wouldn't be able to keep them outside year round. Hopefully the would color up good in the summer at least?

Old plants are the best IMO Petrushka and those are pretty old and looking good to me!

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 5:33PM
azpedsrn(Arizona)

I've enjoyed all the pictures but it has renewed by desire for an Obesa. I've never seen one in the stores and wondered where those of you that have one got it. Are they more difficult to grow? I live just outside of Phoenix and have quite a few cacti and succulents on my back patio and also have a lighted plant stand inside. Which would be better for growing this variety?

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 5:39PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Miles Anderson has them for sale www.miles2go.com. I grow mine from my own seed. Should have some small ones by fall of this year; I've given away/traded/sold all of the ones I had.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 5:44PM
bsmith717(6)

Also, Piragte Girl. Please do me a favor and let me know how to get a piece of that E. milii v. moratii!

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 6:25PM
azpedsrn(Arizona)

Bikerdoc, I saw some seeds for sale on ebay and thought about buying them. I haven't tried growing from seed but maybe it's worth a try. Otherwise, I'll watch this fall for your sale or a trade. Thanks.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 9:27PM
bsmith717(6)

The only cacti/succulent I've tried from seed were aloes. And that was a horrible failure. Maybe it was the wrong time of year and I couldn't provide enough light. Ill be trying again here shortly hopefully with better results.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 10:03PM
bsmith717(6)

Just got a couple more awesome additions to the Phorb list!

E. leuconeurea

E.Bupleurifolia x Suzannae

If anyone can give me any helpful hints on either of my new acquisitions I would be much obliged.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 7:52PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who new therewere so many varieties. ive only grown E. pulcherrima. i dont have any to show

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 2:57PM
bsmith717(6)

I too was amazed at the diversity and sheer number of specimen in the Euphorbia family.

So anyone got any tips on my new leuconeurea or Bupleurifolia x Suzannae like lighting/temp tolerances/preferences?

All I got so far is the Bup likes to be crowded in its pot and really doesn't enjoy too much water whereas the Leuconeurea appreciates a good amount of water.

Thanks!

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 11:13PM
bsmith717(6)

Time to post up what's been growing this season!

My e.bup x suzannae are growing like weeds as are (what I believe are) e.cylindrifolia.

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 8:15AM
bsmith717(6)

And the now much much better looking E. leuconeurea.

Ill get my Lactea and my red Trigona uploaded in a bit!

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 9:18AM
kaktuskris

Here is my Euphorbia bupleurifolia x susannae today. Now I know to water these through the winter. I bought one previous to this, and it died after first winter. I didn't water all winter, the roots must have dried up, and it rotted when I finally watered again. Now I know.

Christopher

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 12:01PM
bsmith717(6)

Other than my Jades (perhaps their root systems take longer to establish/can handle frequent waterings), I have found that pretty much all succulents/cacti really like more water than not. My Lactea (or Lacta, not 100% on the correct name) grew 8-9 arms last year and over 2 feet in height the red trigona sucks up the H20, my recently acquired Nopalea/Opuntia cochenellifera was rooted in water and grows as fast as I water it, my leuconeurea puts out a leaf the day after I water just about every time and finally the neon pink ball on top of a green stem cacti I got from Walgreens relishes in waterings.

Whats the deal!

Of course this is ONLY during spring/summer when the pants are growing.

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 5:01PM
bsmith717(6)

e.cylindrifolia is growing like a champ, except for the middle one that for some reason decided it could not take life any longer. Poor guy.

My E.bupleurifolia x susannae is verdant with lush growth. Im really happy with this clump! :)

Finally the E. leuconeurea. is looking quite tropical if I do say so myself.

On a side note, does anyone have any clue what this rogue Euphorbia looking leaf could be from?

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 1:10PM
bsmith717(6)

Where are everyones Euphorbias at during the winter???

Mine are in the basement with my other leaved/rooted buddies, except for the lucky ones that got to stay in the kitchen!

My lights is bright in the basement! I actually scalded a few leaves during the summertime when I left this guy out in the direct sun too long. Now though it turning from burnt to pretty red.

Happy little guy/s!

Still not sure where these weird leaves originate from...

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 1:14AM
wweidele(6)

Wooooowww nice everybody great pics

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 5:50AM
rina_

Isn't that some kind of Ledebouria?

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 7:59AM
bsmith717(6)

What pic are you referring to dear?

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 10:35AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi BSmith,

I agree w/ Rina, that unIDed leaf you're asking about looks like a Ledebouria, aka Squill, one more name I forget. Sort of a bulbous succulent for lack of a better way to explain. Guess it's a volunteer joining the Family.

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 11:54AM
rina_

Sorry bsmith, your last 2 photos (the spotted long leaves) & your comment:
Still not sure where these weird leaves originate from...
I should have been more clear with my speculation, right? Rina

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 6:39PM
bsmith717(6)

Hmm, I'll have to do a bit of web searching on that one.

How the heck would something like that find its way into my pot? I have nothing with that name at all.

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 7:34PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Surely chaparralgirl's short E. obesas are actually pincushions pieced together out of striped flannel and some embroidery stitches....

They make me want to grow Euphorbias ... or make pincushions. And except for poinsettias, I've really never had any use for Euphorbias....

Liked the anoplia too (a different color of striped flannel with different stitches). Also the suppressa, the decaryii, and the susannae.

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 8:02PM
nomen_nudum

Ledebouria proberly socials . As mentioned it's a type of squill that easily mutiplies, in time it'll be the more dominat plant in the pot. (4 -5 years)
Suggest when time is ideal you might want to repot your E. Suzanne and let the squill have that pot. They send out off sets from root, as well seedling are easily spread by shifting or brushing.

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 8:44PM
bsmith717(6)

Happy new year!!! Better late than never I guess!

How are everyone's favorite slightly irritating to semi poisonous succulents doing?

Not that it's warm enough but I'm still looking for any cuttings that might be out there. I don't have much but whatever I have that I can take a cutting from if be happy to send you!

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 6:01AM

The E. tirucalli is doing well. Had to rescue one I'd put in the ground from floods last summer. Surprisingly, being under water a few times didn't kill it, but it was starting to look ill. I even carefully took cuttings to share it to other pots. Managed to not touch any sap, which is good, I'm extremely allergic. Definitely inside now.

Also brought my Mom's Poinsettia home, IDK why.

Also, speaking of latex sap, I have a couple Plumeria cuttings that look like they're ready to bust out some new growth when it warms up.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 9:09AM
Sundewd(9B)

Would post pics but can't figure out how to post more than one.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 6:15PM
Sundewd(9B)

Would post pics but can't figure out how to post more than one.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 6:58PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Sundewd, to post multiple pics you have to use a photo sharing service like Photobucket or Flickr.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 7:11PM
Sundewd(9B)

Okay, let me try this this way... Hope it works.
E. Gorgonis

E. Tirucalli x Stenoclada

E. Tirucalli forest

E. Magnicapsula v. Lacterosa Monstrose

E. Lactea?

E. 'Hummel's Hybrid'

The following deceased this winter. :(

E. Spiralis? Tortillus?

E. 'zig-zag'

I'm reluctant to get more euphorbs. I used to have a lot more but they always struggle during winter and I do not currently have a greenhouse or a lot of indoor space.

This post was edited by Sundewd on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 19:54

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 7:28PM
bsmith717(6)

I love Tirucalli! Gotta get me some for sure. Everything's looking good to me but I don't know jack!

Sundewd, First, thanks for sharing your quite healthy looking collection. That Gorgonis is wicked looking and the Hummels Hybrid is really interesting for sure. Do you have any info on it? I fairly certian your Lactea is a Trigona. My Lactea grows only the tiniest leaves in compare to the lengthy/elongated leaves my red Trigona sports.

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 1:47AM
Sundewd(9B)

I thought it was a Trigona as well but this thread made me think Lactea. It only has those leaves while growing, then they quickly fall off. That pic was taken during a growth spurt. It now has no leaves at all anymore.

The Hummel's Hybrid... All I know is it was an Ed Hummel created back In the 40's, is very, very hard to find and is about the slowest growing plant I have ever seen. He had another crested zig-zag hybrid that is different than the one that I and everyone else has and I would darn near kill for one. :P

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 8:27PM
lzrddr(91360)

Your plant is certainly NOT a Euphorbia lactea.. those are thick- bodied plants with lots of twists and turns, normally (rarely so flat sided and straight up an down, though some have some degree of 'up and downess'... just not as much as your plant, which is far to flattened/thin to be a lactea).

Here is typical Euphorbia lactea

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 1:05PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

If this thread gets any longer, I may have to drive my car to get to the end! I have two forms of Euphorbia francoisii, or so I think they are different. They are being grown under the same light and temperature conditions. So what do you think?

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 3:08PM
bsmith717(6)

That red veining sure does make the one look different Howard. They are in the same substrate too I assume and same fert regimen?

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 7:31PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Yes, Brandon. They get the same treatment across the board. The reason I posted this is because Michael from OOA offers a green, white and red varieties. I did not get either of these from him.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 9:36PM
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

Howard,
I would say you have another virility of the same plant. Congratulations.
Stush

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 11:24AM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Thanks, Stan. I know they are the same plant, i.e., E. francioisii, but was curious clone, etc since the plants being sod by Mike at OOA are listed separately.

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
Help with jade plant growth
I have had my jade plant for over 10 years and it has...
jpkaylor
Help new cacti ID and everything is dying :/
Ok a bit dramatic but here's my new cacti Close ups If...
birdgerhl
Crassula ovata rot?
Okay so I was given a large cutting last Thursday and...
Hamza Nobes
Mother of Thousands (Kalanchoe)- can I prune it?
I have two of these in pots. The main problem is that...
elizabethk1
Help! Unhappy succulents!
Help! My succulents don't look happy! Their little...
holliescruton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™