Dwarf Valencia orange - fruit only on lower branches

julie_2006(Sunset zone 16)July 13, 2012

I am new to citrus growing, so please bear with me. I've searched the posts on this forum but haven't found an answer. Hopefully someone can help. My 3 year old dwarf seedless Valencia orange is planted in the ground in mostly full sun and looks very healthy. There is lots of very dense foliage and new growth (looks more like a bush than a tree), but I'm baffled as to why there is only fruit on the lower part of the tree. The oranges are good size but they are almost completely hidden in the foliage so they never get any sun on them. They taste more sour than sweet. Is this just a normal growth habit for this type of orange, or should I prune to open it up to let light in?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstontexas123(z9a)

i dont think the fruits themselves need light. are these oranges from last year?

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 4:12AM
julie_2006(Sunset zone 16)

Yes the oranges are from last year. They are yellow-orange with a hint of green at the stem area.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 11:58AM
MrClint

I don't think you have anything to worry about or to correct. You can chalk it all up to the tree still being pretty young. Valencias are generally good about not needing any pruning and setting the proper amount of fruit that it can bear. The oranges will sweeten up if you let them sit longer on the tree.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 2:07PM
MrClint

I don't think you have anything to worry about or to correct. You can chalk it all up to the tree still being pretty young. Valencias are generally good about not needing any pruning and setting the proper amount of fruit that it can bear. The oranges will sweeten up if you let them sit longer on the tree.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 2:09PM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Its OK. Most Citrus trees have a tendency to bloom/fruit from the bottom up.

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 12:30AM
julie_2006(Sunset zone 16)

Thank you for your help! I will put the pruners away and let the tree decide how it wants to grow.

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 12:27PM
More Discussions
Help with Dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree
Hello, The bottom leaves on my dwarf lemon tree are...
arti_asharma
My first Meyer Lemon tree in the heat of Arizona
Hi Everyone, My last adventure with growing blueberries...
jacqdavis
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™