Can I Transplant to Pots now for next Spring when I Move?

nanaclaire(5b)November 5, 2009

I love my clematis and it bothers me to leave them here when I went through all the love and patience to see these grow. Can I cut these back, dig them up, put them in pots and then replant them in the Spring? We are moving next year... don't know when, but most likely it will be sometime before May.

Most of my plants (if not all) are going dormant now here in Michigan ... is it safe to dig them up and pot them? I'm doing this with most of my perennials, rose bushes, etc. I know how hard clematis can be to grow and would hate to kill them by doing this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kal2769(Zone 8)

IMHO they are living things, which will work very hard to remain so. I have rarely had a plant not make it through a transplant and move, and I've had my fair share. I'd suggest going ahead with the transplant. Good luck.

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 8:54PM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

Why don't you just dig them up in April or May, before you move? Then you're not subjecting the plant to further shock by also trying to make it through winter in a pot?

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 2:13PM
lilgreenfrog

I'd say you should get it out of the ground in the spring, before it breaks dormancy. In a pot for the winter you run the risk of it dehydrating, or getting its roots frozen and killed.

Good luck! I think they'll survive being moved no problem.

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 11:50PM
More Discussions
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™