Sweet Autumn Clematis Seed

seamommy(7bTX)November 16, 2009

I couldn't find anything specific about this, but I'm wondering about sprouting this seed. Naturally I have a lot of it and I wouldn't want all of them to sprout, but I'd love to get some new plants. I have a couple of questions.

Is there any way to tell if the seeds are fertile before going to the trouble of starting them?

How long does it need to be chilled?

I was going to place them in the refrigerator since our winters can be mild here.

How long is the germination period?

I tried to start some of my large-flowered clems last Spring and didn't have a lot of success. But I didn't have any way to proof the fertility of the seeds.

Does this seed come true?

I know that the hybrid clems can cross with other hybs if they are close by, but is that also true for the Sweet Autumn?

I'm sorry if these questions are redundant, but I checked out the FAQs and the links I could find in other posts and really didn't see much on Sweet Autumn.

Thanks for any help you can offer. Cheryl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Ken Druse's book on propagation says the following about clematis in general: "Seed-moist cold 2 to 5 months depending on species, sow indoors (70 to 75 degrees) (germination 30-365 days depending on the species).

I can tell you that I have had pretty good results with other seeds that come up in unexpected places by sowing them into pots in the fall and leaving them outside to the rain and cold all winter. In the spring I begin watering and they will often come up, sometimes even before I begin watering. If you have an ongoing supply of seed, it's worth a try. Sorry I cannot be more specific.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Pruning???
A friend gave me a clematis, and I know very little...
organizedsarah
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
Sweet Summer rabbit fodder.
I planted a sweet summer love last year and in the...
ked1985
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Braided Accent Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Olivera Dusty
$69.97 | Home Depot
Monogrammed Cake Plate With Dome - CLEAR
$70.00 | Horchow
Fruit Basket Sugar Bowl by Alessi
$118.00 | Lumens
Egyptian Cotton Hypoallergenic Poly-fill Pillows (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
Denby Heather Covered Sugar Bowl - HEA-041
$44.99 | Hayneedle
Laguna 6 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Espresso Turquoise
$1,499.00 | LexMod
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™