Will I kill my sweet autumn clematis if I prune it now?

lindarenee(a5 Ohio)November 10, 2012

I know I'm supposed to prune this clematis in early spring but it never gets done and it's out of control. It grows up a pole supporting my deck and onto the deck railing. The deck floor is about 7 feet from the ground and then it grows up another 4 ft. to the top of the rail and spreads in both directions. The problem is the pole is near my walk-in garage door and the large stalks are beginning to look like tarzan vines looping out from the pole where they broke out of their ties. The vine is probably 20 years old or more. I'm in the mood to tame it now but I sure would miss it if I killed it. Thanks, Linda, Ohio zone 5a

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goren

Considering its a clematis suitable for winter zones as well as the warmer ones and can expect to be hit by snow, I cant see why it cant be cut back --at least somewhat--to prevent heavy snow bringing it down.
So, go ahead cut it back as you wish as long as you feel lthe plant has hardened off for winter.
But as you said its still has buds and last remnants of flowers, I'd wait until after a hard frost before cutting it back.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 11:30AM
lindarenee(a5 Ohio)

Thanks for the advice!!!

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 9:00AM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Once the plant goes dormant and the cold weather has arrived for keeps, usually by the end of Nov. here, I cut my type three clematis back. Sweet Autumn is a type 3 clematis.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 5:20PM
claydirt(5)

I have a monster that's 5 years old. I have a difficult time imagining anything I could do to it that would kill it.

Once I had a old rusty iron basket ball goal post beside the driveway. Now I have a sweet autumn clematis about 4 ft in diameter and as tall as a basketball post. But I will wait till February or early March to hack on it.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 6:34AM
More Discussions
How climate specific are clematis?
I want to add a few clematis to my gardens. I actually...
subk3
What size container would you recommend?
I have several clematis growing in the ground. However,...
gardenbug
Need 2 clematis that go well together
Hello. I am putting in a new trellis that gets full...
suz9601
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Sweet Summer rabbit fodder.
I planted a sweet summer love last year and in the...
ked1985
Sponsored Products
Fitzgerald Leather Swivel Chair - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture
Stogie I Pendant by LBL Lighting
$180.00 | Lumens
Cellula Chandelier
Design Within Reach
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Bahama Weave Mocha Cream Thin Weave 34 i
Home Depot
Wilton Bath Bar by Kichler
$187.00 | Lumens
Bruck | Bling I Diamond Sconce
$210.00 | YLighting
Snail Garden Figurine
$7.99 | zulily
Noguchi Table
Design Within Reach
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™