Which species of Selenicereus?

parodise(Germany)October 26, 2013

Hello everyone,
I recently purchased from different sellers two sets of Selenicereus cuttings. Both sets were sold under the name Selenicereus grandiflorus/Queen of the Night. Interestingly, as you can see in the picture, the cuttings look quite different, both in terms of the color and the distribution of areoles on the stem. The flowers on the mother plants differ slightly, too.
My question is, are these really S. grandiflorus? As I understand, there are many differnet strains of Selenicereus "grandiflorus" in cultivation both here in Europe and, I would guess, in the US, too. Does anyone grow anything similar with a precise ID? Could these be crosses of different Selenicereus species? S. pteranthus? S. macdonaldiae? I would greatly appreciate any help with IDing the plants...
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
parodise(Germany)

Here's the mother plant of the unrooted cuttings (on the right in the previous post's picture.

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 5:50AM
parodise(Germany)

And this is the mother plant of the cuttings on the rooted cuttings on the left.

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 5:52AM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

Isn't that S. grandiflora, all of them? The difference is new growth (very square), older growth, often 6-sided, and the color also varies. I grow them, but not as nicely as you do. You have a nicely grown plant.

Does the plant only make one batch of flowers? Mine only sets one bunch, and I was wondering if that is normal or if other people can coax several seasons of bloom from their plant.

This post was edited by Dzitmoidonc on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 10:27

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 8:20AM
parodise(Germany)

Dzitmoidonc, thanks for the compliments, but the two adult plants in the pics are the mother plants of the sellers I bought cuttings from - I'm just starting out and am afraid have a long way to go before I get anything like those two....
Anyway, the cuttings seem to be really different - particularly, spination and the ribs (not just the number, but also their shape). I'll definitely keep your comments in mind - you do have a point regarding old/new growth.
Have you grown yours from cuttings/seed? How old is your plant? When did it start blooming?

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 1:31PM
senjanevada(9)

That's pretty,

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 4:13PM
More Discussions
Kalanchoes outdoors in southern California
the following are some photos of some of the less common...
palmbob
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
Jade prune going back farther than expected? Normal???
Hey, This Jade has been through a lot and I've posted...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
March blooms (2015)
March is here...what succulents do you have blooming? Not...
rina_
Help! what's wrong with these succulents
They are with me just only for 2 months. Their leaves...
hm825
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™