Eureka Dwarf Lemon - Graft line help

zoharJuly 13, 2014

Hi,

I planted 16 months ago a Eureka Dwarf bought at Lowe's. The tree is growing like no tomorrow and now 6 feet. TheA branch is the dominate but the B branch also growing more or less the same. Leaves are the same. Can I tell if A (or B) are good or just a root stock?

Regards,
Zohar

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

inside the circle

Steve

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 9:53PM
scottsmith(9)

Second that

ditto

I agree with the assessment

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 10:19PM
zohar

Steve and Scott, thank you so much, you input is highly appreciated. I will keep the tree and hopeful will have lemons sometime.

It is growing very much. Do I need to put it under stress in order to have flowers?

Thanks,
Zohar

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:52PM
tim45z10

What are the numbers on your fertilizer?

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 8:55PM
scottsmith(9)

My tree, like me, does not like stress, It stresses us out.

But I'm no expert, just a tree owner, who posts on a forum.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 8:33AM
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

Do NOT stress your tree. It is already of bearing age. I plan to stress my juvenile tree to see ir it will flower for its first time.

Steve

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 8:37AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Zohar, stressing your tree is not the way to develop fruit. Providing good nutrition, adequate water and plenty of sunshine are the keys. I would consider mulching under your tree to conserve water (I see the cracks in your soil), unless you're on clay. Which may cause too much water retention. Be sure to fertilize every 3 months with the appropriate amount of a good quality citrus fertilizer that has the proper NPK ratio, along with a full complement of micronutrients. Your tree is young, and it will flower and fruit if you provide it what it needs.

Patty S.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 9:29AM
zohar

Hi All,

I'm using Dr. Earth Fruit Tree organic fertilizer 7-4-2. I use 2 cups each month (since the tree is 2 years old). I use compost from my compost bin under the canopy. I water 7.5 gallons with drips every 3 days. On top of it, I also use a special home prepared fertilize recipe given to me by arborist every 3 months with Actinovate, growers secret, liqinox Citrus and other ingredients diluted with water for all my fruit trees and roses.

I indeed have a clay soil and thinking on covering it with bark next year.

Zohar

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 12:55AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Well, I would be careful mulching under the tree, then. You want to make sure your tree's root area is draining well. Clay can be wonderful soil to plant in, as it is rich in minerals (your micros). But, it can have drainage issues as I'm sure you're aware. For citrus, it is helpful to plant them on a mound, to promote better drainage. If your tree continues to appear chlorotic, I would increase your fertilizer (lemons just seem to need more fertilizer in general, I have found, especially Meyer lemons), and make sure your root area is not staying too wet. This can cause an overall chlorotic appearance, as the roots are being damaged by too much water (suffocating), and are not able to take up nutrients. Otherwise, sounds like you've got a great system going.

Patty S.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 10:55AM
zohar

Thanks Patty.

Zohar

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 12:49AM
More Discussions
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
Help with Dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree
Hello, The bottom leaves on my dwarf lemon tree are...
arti_asharma
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™