Calcium or lime to raise ph?

keepingon(8)November 24, 2013

I am preparing a spot to plant HF Young. De Groot nursery said add calcium to acid soils at planting to raise ph to 5.6-6 range. I have always used lime to raise ph (for hydrangas) and have it on hand. I know it takes several months for lime to work. There is very acid soil (5-5.5) in some areas of my Alabama garden.

Can someone offer advice on which product might be best. Does one work faster, last longer, etc; or if there is any advantage in using calcium over lime. I would like to use what I have and will be soil testing as I correct ph. Thanks, Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Use lime. Lime is calcium carbonate.

Bookmark   November 25, 2013 at 2:12AM
keepingon(8)

Hi jean, Thanks for the info. If I knew this in the distant past, it was forgotten; it's been sooooo long. Xxx

Bookmark   November 25, 2013 at 1:50PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I am not totally sure that it's needed, based on experience in my garden, though I imagine that it can't hurt. I'd add organic matter, but my soil is acid enough that blueberries, rhodies, cranberries and other Heath family plants do well (and grow wild) and my hydrangeas are blue, but my clematis don't seem to need any soil modification.

I do add wood ashes or lime to the veggie garden because they aren't tolerant of the lower pH, and the local farmer does the same in the field next door, but the clematis don't seem to be as fussy about pH as they are reputed to be.

Here's HF Young:
From June 8, 2013

and several type 3 clematis, including Arabella, Viola, and Betty Corning.
From June 22, 2013

Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 8:22AM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Nice to see a Viola pic. Considering that one.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 2:14AM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Iris_gal -

In reality there is less pink to the tone of Viola's flower. All the clematis in this photo look a bit pinker than in reality. I really like Viola and have found it easy to grow, though your conditions are so different than mine that my experience may not help you at all. In this photo, Viola is a 3 1/2 year old plant, and in its second season in the ground in this garden.

Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 2:52PM
More Discussions
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Fragrant Oberon
I've become obsessed with the Fragrant Oberon clem,...
lisakaye551
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™