Brushwood Nursery's 2012 catalog

plantloverkat zone 9a north Houston(zone 9a)December 5, 2011

Brushwood Nursery has now updated their website with their 2012 catalog. They have a couple of newer clematis varieties that look interesting.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantloverkat zone 9a north Houston(zone 9a)

Here is the link to their recent e-mail.

Here is a link that might be useful: recent e-mail about 2012 catalog

Bookmark   December 5, 2011 at 11:00AM
greenhavenrdgarden

Hi thanks for posting. Can you tell me about the size of their Clem's ? Anyone with experience ordering through them? Thanks :)

Bookmark   December 5, 2011 at 2:10PM

Brushwood's plants are grown in a quart sized nursery pot, which has always been very well filled with roots in my experience. They are a bit smaller than those shipped in gallon sized pots by some other venders like Joy Creek or Silver Star Vinery, but they are NOT just shipping barely rooted cuttings. In my experience, Brushwood's plants have always grown vigorously. I have ordered many clematis and a couple of honeysuckle from Brushwood, and I have never had one damaged in the shipping process. Also their shipping costs are, I believe, the least expensive out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushwoods photos of their plants

Bookmark   December 5, 2011 at 2:55PM
greenhavenrdgarden

Thanks for the response. I'm kind of new to clematis so excuse my ignorance but can clems that size be put in the garden or do they need potted up til a bigger size?

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 3:50PM

I have always had success by planting them directly in the ground. The only time I have potted them up is when a new bed was not ready for planting, and I knew it wouldn't be finished for a few weeks. I also planted directly in the ground when I lived in colder zones - 8a and 6b. I think many people do pot up the very small liner sized clematis you can buy, but Brushwood's clematis are much larger than a liner size and are close in size to some of the gallon sized plants I have purchased.

Perhaps someone else from a colder zone closer to you will give their opinion as well - there might be others who do prefer to pot them up.

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 9:08AM

Since no one else has responded to your original question so far, I thought I'd post a link to an older similar thread. If you type "Brushwood" in the Garden Web search box, you will find even more threads with feedback.

Here is a link that might be useful: feedback on Brushwood Nursery

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 9:56AM
greenhavenrdgarden

Thank you for the link and responses. I'm dreaming of spring and picking out clems certainly helps. I'm going to place an order with Brushwood. There is a local nursery near me that sells Donahues clematis but they are between 35-75 each. Bought quite a few but I'm thinking I'll try someplace else. Thanks again :)

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 5:16PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

I was pleased with the two clematis that I ordered last year from Brushwood. Though some people plant them right away I prefer to pot them up to get a larger root system and to allow more time to decided where to plant them.

Mostly I buy the one gallon size clematis unless I can't find the variety in that size. It helps that I live close to Donahue's where I can buy clematis in several different sizes.

Bookmark   December 10, 2011 at 4:30AM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I've ordered something like 20 plants from Brushwood and have started my list for this year. I plant them directly in the garden and haven't lost any; great quality, healthy plants, well packed. I have planted them both spring and fall, and they have taken off quickly in both seasons, though not too much happens above ground with fall planting. I find that many of them want to bloom at least a bit the first year, and by the second year they really start to put on size and bloom. I actually didn't see much size difference this past year between Brushwood's and Silver Star's plants and how large they ended the season.

Bookmark   December 12, 2011 at 8:26AM
bobbygil(7)

Brushwood is having a 48hr sale. 15 percent off

Bookmark   December 26, 2011 at 2:04PM
greenhavenrdgarden

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered 12 clematis-was so hard to pick only 6 and once you get the shipping bump at number 7 might as well buy 12 ;) . I can't wait for spring. SO excited. Now to finish finding spots to plant these babies. Thank goodness my yard is basically a large blank slate right now. Thanks again for the help. Laura

Bookmark   December 29, 2011 at 10:01AM
greenhavenrdgarden

Ordered 6 more today. Between the 16 I bought and planted this fall and the 18 coming this spring I think I am now insane. All bc I stumbled upon a neighbor's clematis she didn't even know she had when she moved in last year. Oh boy!!

Bookmark   December 29, 2011 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
Longest blooming clematis for Utah
Bloom times just don't follow the rules here in this...
kay21_utahzone5a
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
How climate specific are clematis?
I want to add a few clematis to my gardens. I actually...
subk3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™