Is my Kumquat tree dying?? :(

scuzzynuttyJuly 6, 2010

Hi, I bought a kumquat tree a few months ago, and it was growing pretty good for a bit, but it looks like it's dying now. It has some new growth on it from earlier and you can tell from the lighter colored leaves, but a lot of the branches seem to be drying up and dying and the entire tree is looking a lot more bare than it used to be.

Here's the link to 2 pictures

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m276/fengzi72/CIMG4634.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m276/fengzi72/CIMG4635.jpg

It's a bit hard to see since there's other plants/trees behind it. But in the close-up picture you can see the ends (well the top 1/3 to 1/2) of the branches are brown and look like they're dead. They snap off too. I've only been watering it about once a week.

Please let me know if this is normal or what I should do to 'revive' the tree. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raid_gardener

I think its a "citrus dieback" I had this issue before, i recommend the following:

- cut the brown parts - not all branch

- water thoroughly as washing the soil.

- what i did also sprayed the tree with copper compound such as(copper oxychloride) 2 times 10 days interval

- after 20-30 days spray the tree with Micronutrients that contains (Boron, Copper, and Molybdenum)

hope that help

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 3:31AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Could also be a sign of compacted soil and root rot...If is is also lacking nutrients at the same time, then most likely the roots are severely being stressed..

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 8:05AM
scuzzynutty

Thanks for the replies. So the pictures there of the brown branches is not normal huh? I didn't replant it after I bought it from the store, so does the soil go bad? Should I replant it and and mix some new soil in there? Please advise. I don't want my tree to die :( thanks!

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 12:40AM
raid_gardener

please make sure that the soil is not too wet when you water , then its important to cut the brown parts and if you can spray with any copper compound.

and i suspect because you did not replant of the size of tree the roots are running around the bottom of pot which make the plant more subject to root diseases.

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 1:52AM
scuzzynutty

Well, i cut the dead parts off and replanted it tonight into a bigger pot. The roots were kind of brittle at the bottom when I took it out, hopefully it'll grow in the new fresh soil.

I think I made a mistake though, I used Miracle Gro (for vegetables & flowers) garden soil and mixed it with palm soil mix (the stuff good for drainage that I guy at the nursery told me to mix 50/50 with regular soil). On the back of the Miracle Gro bag, it says, "not for containers." Is there something in that soil that will kill the tree? I mixed it pretty good with the palm mix. Hopefully I won't do more harm than good to the tree...kind of worried about that now. i didn't see it until after I had re-potted it...

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 11:16PM
houstontexas123(z9a)

it'll be ok since you mixed it with the palm soil mix. i use the same MG garden soil for my potted plants. depending on the plant, i mix in anywhere between 25-50% perlite.

if you didnt mix it with something that will provide good drainage, it'll stay too wet and cause root rot.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 6:02AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Scuzzynutty,

Great job with the plan to repot, and cutting off the dead branches....

But,

Your soilless mix will last a very short time..The structure of that mix will hold up for a bit, then revert to compaction again just as soon as your plant starts to thrive, causing another tramatic expereince in it's life, which could kill it next time..Sorry,just being honest.

I would repot just into the Palm mix, mixed with at least 25-50% more perlite if you are determined to use a mix that compacts quickly because of rapidly decomposing fine particles...

Good luck..:-)

Mike

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 9:02AM
More Discussions
New Oro Blanco
We hit 99 degrees today and my newly planted Oro blanco...
evdesert 9B Indio, CA
Repotted My Plants. New Problems.
Last week I repotted two citrus plants, each is about...
mangodamia
Polyembryonic seeds
Hi to all I'm germinating some kumquat seeds and some...
swfx
Phoenix Orange Tree Watering Schedule/Setup
All, I just moved into a house with an orange tree...
Andrew McCabe
BUGS 17 :-)
HI all 16 had over 300 post so started this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Sponsored Products
Tolomeo Classic LED Wall Sconce by Artemide
$520.00 | Lumens
1,000 Places to See Before You Die
$94.00 | FRONTGATE
Hyre's Country Haven Teak Double Fan Back Porch Swing - 216-S
$799.98 | Hayneedle
Voto Satin Nickel LED Wall Sconce
$313.60 | Bellacor
58" Artemis Distressed Koa Finish Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus